Olney on Potential Replacements

Birds08

That's pretty much what I was thinking. How many times has he failed as a hitting coach? This seems like a PA idea for putting fans bask in the seats. It's another "if I get names they know, the fans will come back" maneuver.

I know I'd be intrigued, even if I think it could be a tempest in a teapot. And who knows, maybe as a manager, his style would go over better. Leave the details to the coaches, and he handles the team and in game stuff.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the O's hire Dustbag as manager I won't follow them until he is fired. He over uses pitchers, can't manage a game worth crap, and is crazy for veterans. Having to watch him manage the Cubbies (my other team) was bad enough, but I couldn't handle him taking over the O's. Baltimore deserves so much better.

I know the O's front office is poor at best but PLEASE SAY NO TO BAKER.

It's apparent that Murray would be who odogs101 is referring to.

* Former Oriole? Check

* Fan Favorite? Check

* Different Personality than Perlozzo? Check

Girardi would be ideal, but Peter likes to stay 'in-the-family'. They can spin this as a change for the better, without disrupting the 'process'. Flanagan and Murray were former team-mates and it should surprise no one that Eddie may be his guy.

What a disaster Murray would be IMO. He's a legend and when he fails as manager it will be a lot harder to replace him than it would be to replace someone else.

What a disaster Murray would be IMO. He's a legend and when he fails as manager it will be a lot harder to replace him than it would be to replace someone else.

I completely agree. Nothing in his coaching career makes a case for him even coming close to being a good manager. His personality isn't any different from the last few lame duck magers we've had.

Murray would be an awful choice from so many standpoints.

I can't see anyone who hasn't had experience. Cross off Bordick, Surhoff....

I've got a bad feeling it will be Murray. Bad, bad move IMO. Loved the guy as a player but he has no experience and seems like he has a problem teaching what he knows. With no experience, not sure how he'd be w/in game manuevers.

I completely agree. Nothing in his coaching career makes a case for him even coming close to being a good manager. His personality isn't any different from the last few lame duck magers we've had.

Murray would be an awful choice from so many standpoints.

Actually, his personality is pretty much a 180 from our last few lame ducks. The problem in question is if he can be an effective coach, let alone manager. He's one of those guys who seemingly gets incredibly frustrated when people don't understand what he feels to be are simple concepts.

For a shining example of that kind of personality, go check out Ted William's career as manager.

Then what happens to Mazzone if Perlozzo is fired? And as important as a manager,who will be the O's new pitching coach?

At this point, I really don't care. Mazzone has done some good things, yeah, but the good doesn't equal the bad here.

Actually, his personality is pretty much a 180 from our last few lame ducks. The problem in question is if he can be an effective coach, let alone manager. He's one of those guys who seemingly gets incredibly frustrated when people don't understand what he feels to be are simple concepts.

For a shining example of that kind of personality, go check out Ted William's career as manager.

How is his personality so much different? He's not fiery or outspoken, certainly not in front of the media. He would be quiet and unassuming, just like Perlozzo, Mazzilli, Hargrove, Miller.

How is his personality so much different? He's not fiery or outspoken, certainly not in front of the media. He would be quiet and unassuming, just like Perlozzo, Mazzilli, Hargrove, Miller.

Operative words: in front of the media.

It's been well documented that Murray was a "take no crap" guy in the clubhouse. He wasn't Weaver, but he wasn't a wall flower, either.

And you think Hargrove and Miller were quiet and unassuming?

Murray would be a bad choice... sorry, but there are some people that just can't teach what they know. The players went to management to get him out of Cleveland and he was let go in LA as not communicative. So, why would he be an excellent choice as the manager, other than he was an great ex-Oriole.

New campaign slogan "Come see the Baltimore Orioles, the home for ex-Orioles....".

Bla! The last 9 years we have seen a plethora of ex-Orioles in management in one form or another. What this club needs is a total overall from the outside.

I'm seriously hoping it's Joe Girardi. Dave Trembley could be a good replacement, so he's 2nd on my list. Davey... I'm thinkin' that's a pipe dream, but what a story that would be. Oh, and...

JUST SAY NO TO BAKER!!!

Archived