Olney on Potential Replacements

Birds08

This organization doesn't need any more ex-Orioles in front office/managerial positions. What they need is some objectivity so to fix what is broke.

Wasn't Davey Johnson the last ex-Oriole manager?

Elrod was bullpen, Dempsey was firstbase, Murray was first base, Crow is hitting.

I don;t see a problem with an ex-Oriole so long as it is the RIGHT ex-Oriole

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see Davey Johnson back. I really hope to the higher powers that they do not sign Baker. I am not so worried about the way he handles a pitching staff, I am more concerned with him loving aging veterans. I know people say that he ruined Wood, and Prior but the guy managed for 11 years before he had a chance with them and I dont recall him ever ruining a pitcher previously.

Wood had arm problems because he had an extremely violent release on his curveball. Wether he threw 100 pitches an outing or 120 he would still have arm trouble. That said, I am not endorsing Dusty, Girardi, or Murray. I would love to see DJ back at the helm.

If the selection is Dusty Baker, I'll be the most miserable SOB of an Orioles fan out there. I'd find it very hard to post long after that happens.

I won't be far behind ya... For me, hiring Dusty would make a bad situation a hopeless situation.

Elrod was bullpen, Dempsey was firstbase, Murray was first base, Crow is hitting.

Besides those above... just in the 1990's and 2000's. As coaches only...

Al Bumbry in 1995

Don Buford in 1994

Pat Dobson in 1996

Andy Etchebarren in 1996-1997

Mike Flanagan in 1995 and 1998

Lee May in 1995

Johnny Oates in 1990-1991

Orioles Coaches History

I think its Murray. Its a PA, former Orioles fan favorite, but I don't think it will be a good choice. This guy has been booted out of every coaching job he's had (including here I believe) because of his poor attitude and inability to have patience or teach. I believe the Dodgers players went to the manager to have him fired or something to that effect. Hope I'm wrong. As for the other choices...

Davey: A dream come true, but I don't count on it happening.

Girardi: Would be fun, but he wouldn't last a season before him and PA have a pissing contest and he leaves.

Dusty: God no, please God no.

Trembley: If not Murray, it will be him. Typical safe Angelos promote from within the company guy with tenure move. Nothing will change.

Dempsey: PLEASE GOD NO! OH NO OH NO OH NO!

Bordick, Surhoff or Hoiles: This would be really interesting, especially if we blew up the team and went into full rebuilding. Having a hardworking, recently retired vet to mentor a group of young hungry guys would be a great move, but with the current crew, it would never work.

I think its Murray. Its a PA, former Orioles fan favorite, but I don't think it will be a good choice. This guy has been booted out of every coaching job he's had (including here I believe) because of his poor attitude and inability to have patience or teach. I believe the Dodgers players went to the manager to have him fired or something to that effect. Hope I'm wrong. As for the other choices...

Davey: A dream come true, but I don't count on it happening.

Girardi: Would be fun, but he wouldn't last a season before him and PA have a pissing contest and he leaves.

Dusty: God no, please God no.

Trembley: If not Murray, it will be him. Typical safe Angelos promote from within the company guy with tenure move. Nothing will change.

Dempsey: PLEASE GOD NO! OH NO OH NO OH NO!

Bordick, Surhoff or Hoiles: This would be really interesting, especially if we blew up the team and went into full rebuilding. Having a hardworking, recently retired vet to mentor a group of young hungry guys would be a great move, but with the current crew, it would never work.

I disagree with the Trembley thought. He is very much the opposite of Sammy. He is a no nonsense type guy and there would be change in the way underperforming players would be dealt with.

True...if it were the right ex-Oriole. Sadly, that was 10 yrs ago and this organization has plunged to new depths. I'd like to see a new, external manager with a fresh, new perspective, hire HIS staff. I'd also love to see a highly regarded baseball man for a GM.

I disagree with the Trembley thought. He is very much the opposite of Sammy. He is a no nonsense type guy and there would be change in the way underperforming players would be dealt with.

That may be true. I'm just saying he has the edge because he's already in the organization, put in some time, and would be seen as "his turn" by Angelos. I think he would know where his loyalty is and wouldn't rock the boat to boot. We all though Sam would be a no nonsense type of guy too.

Well technically, Ray Miller would be, since he has been in the organization as a coach previously.

Okay, that leaves us with:

-Dempsey

-Johnson

-Surhoff

-Hoiles

-Murray

-Ripken

-Bordick

I think you can cross Ripken off the list. He's probably pretty busy with owning the Ironbirds, and I bet he wouldn't want to take any kind of managing position til his son is out of high school or something.

Surhoff for manager - Fan favorite (many see that as a dirty phrase, but if he does well, it's a bonus), fiery player, played on winning and losing teams.

Hoiles for hitting coach - Power hitter for a catcher, walked a lot without striking out a lot, had a full-season OBP of under .350 once in his career.

Bordick for infield/base coach - Smart player, great defensive player.

Archived