Is Trumbo as good as gone?

Diehard_O's_Fan

Dan Duquette sure makes it sound like that Mark Trumbo will not be an Oriole next year. Are the Orioles really stupid enough to let him go? I could be wrong but I just don't feel like the Orioles offense will be as good without Mark Trumbo in it. What if Chris Davis has another mediocre year and the Orioles don't have Mark to rely on as far as a power threat. It is going to absolutely kill me if Mark pulls a Nelson Cruz and puts up huge numbers for another team. Mark Trumbo is built for Camden Yards. Enough said.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. I think Trumbo and Cruz are very similar players, and Trumbo is significantly younger. I could understand letting Cruz go because he's older, but Trumbo has several good years left in him. I'd hate to lose him, too.

I get so sick and tired of the Orioles allowing a good player to leave once the player hits free agency. There is no guarantee that Trey Mancini is going to be a good player for the Orioles. I think he will be but you just don't know for sure. The Orioles are a playoff team and should not rely on unknown players to produce. Should the Orioles allow Mark Trumbo to leave and replace him with an unproven player like Mancini? I know that Mancini will not be playing the outfield but the Orioles would be relying on him to replace some of Trumbo's power.

If you assume the payroll limit is not infinite, sometimes you have to let players go because you cannot afford to pay market rates for all your players as they hit free agency.

There is no excuse for the Orioles allowing Mark Trumbo to leave. He is built for Camden Yards and he absolutely loves playing for the Orioles. Scott Boras is not his agent so the Orioles can't use that excuse either. As we all know, the Orioles pitching is average at best and the Orioles need to score lots of runs at times in order to win games. You can't expect to win games if you score only two or three runs especially with the Orioles pitching. I will lose a ton of respect for Dan if he allows Mark to leave. There is simply no good reason for it.

Dan Duquette sure makes it sound like that Mark Trumbo will not be an Oriole next year. Are the Orioles really stupid enough to let him go? I could be wrong but I just don't feel like the Orioles offense will be as good without Mark Trumbo in it. What if Chris Davis has another mediocre year and the Orioles don't have Mark to rely on as far as a power threat. It is going to absolutely kill me if Mark pulls a Nelson Cruz and puts up huge numbers for another team. Mark Trumbo is built for Camden Yards. Enough said.

Of course he is.

I agree. I think Trumbo and Cruz are very similar players, and Trumbo is significantly younger. I could understand letting Cruz go because he's older, but Trumbo has several good years left in him. I'd hate to lose him, too.

Trumbo is significantly younger but Cruz is significantly better.

Dan will supplement the team with bargains. We probably will not know who is on the team until late February. Cruz was picked up late as a bargain and so was Alvarez.

The talk of Mancini being the DH is just one plan. If a better DH comes along cheap than Mancini has options. The O's are going to add two to three outfielders beside Mancini. The Rule 5 guy is probably one. The other could be bargains or minor league additions.

In a word, yes.

Trumbo had a career year last year. He's going to get a bloated contract based on that career year (probably something like 5 years, 75 million, IMO). He's just not worth that, especially if he has injury issues again and reverts back to his 2014/2015 performance. We caught lightning in a bottle, but the chances of it happening again (let alone 3 or 4 more times afterward) are very iffy.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/trumbma01.shtml

There are other ways to improve the team (defense, higher OBP guys to hit higher in the lineup, etc.) that they can do rather than take a huge risk by paying Trumbo based on a career year.

Everything I have read in other sources indicates the Orioles are going to make a serious run at Trumbo. If that should fail, a name to watch is Carlos Gonzalez. He hits free agency after this season and makes $20 mil and from all reports he is very much available at discount. He would rake at Camden Yards and he plays RF.

Getting to watch Cargo play here in Denver is a treat. I advocated two years ago to trade Bundy to secure Cargo to play RF in Markakis' departure. As was pointed out to me, there are several reasons to be hesitant to pull that trigger, including his injury-prone nature (although he did play in 150 last year) and his home/road splits (significantly worse away from Coors Field). While I think he would look great in an Os uniform, I agree that a one-year $20MM player who is just going to hit FA again in 2018 is not the kind of player we need. Here, by the way are his splits in 2016 as per ESPN:

By Brea AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

Home 291 50 93 23 1 18 64 26 0 52 1 0 .320 .375 .591 .966

Away 293 37 81 19 1 7 36 20 1 77 1 2 .276 .324 .420 .744

Getting to watch Cargo play here in Denver is a treat. I advocated two years ago to trade Bundy to secure Cargo to play RF in Markakis' departure. As was pointed out to me, there are several reasons to be hesitant to pull that trigger, including his injury-prone nature (although he did play in 150 last year) and his home/road splits (significantly worse away from Coors Field). While I think he would look great in an Os uniform, I agree that a one-year $20MM player who is just going to hit FA again in 2018 is not the kind of player we need. Here, by the way are his splits in 2016 as per ESPN:

I'd like to have him, but he has more value in Colorado due to his drastic splits. Not saying he wouldn't kill it out in the AL East playing in Fenway, OPACY, Yankee Stadium and the Rodgers Center, but I think we made the right move on staying away from him.

I'd like to have him, but he has more value in Colorado due to his drastic splits. Not saying he wouldn't kill it out in the AL East playing in Fenway, OPACY, Yankee Stadium and the Rodgers Center, but I think we made the right move on staying away from him.

If the Os could land Charlie Blackmon, on the other hand.... He hit 5 more HRs on the road than at Coors, and his SLG and OPS are very comparable at home and on the road... And he's a true leadoff-type hitter..

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

Home 68 65 313 278 61 93 15 3 12 47 9 4 24 39 .335 .399 .540 .939

Away 75 70 328 300 50 94 20 2 17 35 8 5 19 63 .313 .363 .563 .926

If the Os could land Charlie Blackmon, on the other hand.... He hit 5 more HRs on the road than at Coors, and his SLG and OPS are very comparable at home and on the road... And he's a true leadoff-type hitter..

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

Home 68 65 313 278 61 93 15 3 12 47 9 4 24 39 .335 .399 .540 .939

Away 75 70 328 300 50 94 20 2 17 35 8 5 19 63 .313 .363 .563 .926

I lie what I see, but why did he start less games at home than away? Don't follow the Rockies, so I'm just curious. How good he is with the glove is another thing to consider.

Archived