2017 MLB Draft Order/ Comp Pick Talk

sportsfan8703

2 hours ago, fearthenoodle said:

Also, under the terms of the new CBA, those groups simply switch every year over the course of the 5-year CBA. So next year there will be 8 Round A picks and 6 Round B picks. The bottom line for the Orioles, they will have 3 additional 2nd round picks and 2 additional first round picks while this current CBA is in place.

I don't read it that way. I read that the number of A and B picks switch. Not the order. It is impossible to predict revenue and winning percentage for the formula in advance, so the flipping is strictly the sequence of where the picks fall. From my read read of what I've seen so far. 

The groups of teams will switch in 2018 (meaning there will be eight Comp Round A picks, six in Round B), and will alternate as such for the life of this CBA.

1. 16 hours ago, weams said:

I don't read it that way. I read that the number of A and B picks switch. Not the order. It is impossible to predict revenue and winning percentage for the formula in advance, so the flipping is strictly the sequence of where the picks fall. From my read read of what I've seen so far. 

In another twist, once the teams are ordered and sorted between Round A (after the first round) and Round B (after the second), that grouping will flip-flop from year to year. In other words, the teams that choose in Round A in 2017 will get to participate in Round B in 2018, and vice versa. That process will continue throughout the duration of the recently agreed-upon CBA, which runs through the year 2021. For the coming draft, six teams will participate in the higher portion.

2. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/2017-competitive-balance-draft-pick-order.html

9 minutes ago, fearthenoodle said:
  1. In another twist, once the teams are ordered and sorted between Round A (after the first round) and Round B (after the second), that grouping will flip-flop from year to year. In other words, the teams that choose in Round A in 2017 will get to participate in Round B in 2018, and vice versa. That process will continue throughout the duration of the recently agreed-upon CBA, which runs through the year 2021. For the coming draft, six teams will participate in the higher portion.

2. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/2017-competitive-balance-draft-pick-order.html

That is a much more specific read on this. If correct, I am incorrect.  Exactly where was that quote from? Mayo? Or the MLBTR author. Thanks for clarification in advance. My concern is that team could be added to the lowest ten markets or lowest ten revenues each year and I would find it hard to believe that they are promisiong picks five years downwind based on today's data. But it may well be. 

Archived