Will the O's try to trade a starter?

wildcard

Eduardo Encinas of the Sun is reporting that the O's may not be willing to pay all 6 for their starters.

All three have had their ups and downs as Orioles, and six pitchers in a starting rotation doesn't work. But the Orioles don't necessarily have the best rotation depth, so having a surplus of starting pitching isn't a bad thing. It's just a matter of whether the Orioles are willing to pay a premium for that, and all signs point to no.

This wouid free up money to go after free agents but do they dare to weaken their starting depth?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-winter-meetings-1204-20161203-story.html

They should have traded Brach last year. What you can get for Brach or Britton will never be higher so yes, they should. The return would really help us. Will DD pull the trigger? Doubtful....because he's not a very good GM.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They will try...but they will not want to eat money and nobody will take their terrible contracts. It's possible someone takes Ubaldo or Miley in a straight salary dump with little return. Might have to throw in a draft pick like the Webb deal. 

Hopefully the free agent class is woeful enough this offseason that the O's can get full salary relief for one of them. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Except Miley is the one most likely to go and he is also the one I would be most comfortable with staying.

I'm pretty comfortable keeping them all.     Chances are good that injuries will sideline or limit one or more of our starters.    But if an opportunity to dump some salary comes along, I suppose you have to give that a serious look.    

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm pretty comfortable keeping them all.     Chances are good that injuries will sideline or limit one or more of our starters.    But if an opportunity to dump some salary comes along, I suppose you have to give that a serious look.    

Not only are there injuries, there are also the limited innings the Bundy will pitch.

Seems like if they trade someone, they have to also acquire more starting pitching.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Not only are there injuries, there are also the limited innings the Bundy will pitch.

Seems like if they trade someone, they have to also acquire more starting pitching.

How did limiting Bundy's innings end up last year?

If they are contending, and he is pitching well, I don't think there is going to be a cap.

Bundy only pitched 109.2 inning last year.  Only 71.2 were as a starter.  They limited his innings to begin the season as a reliever so they could move him to be a starter in the 2nd half.  He only pitch 24.2 innings in September after pitching 33 innings in August.   

Bundy is unlikely to pitch 180 innings and make 33 starts next year.  A target of 140 to 150 seems aggressive to me.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Bundy only pitched 109.2 inning last year.  Only 71.2 were as a starter.  They limited his innings to begin the season as a reliever so they could move him to be a starter in the 2nd half.  He only pitch 24.2 innings in September after pitching 33 innings in August.   

Bundy is unlikely to pitch 180 innings and make 33 starts next year.  A target of 140 to 150 seems aggressive to me.

Did you, or anyone, think that they would throw Bundy for 109.2 innings last year?  How about 80?  Did you think he would throw 80?  I figured 75 or so was going to be the limit and that is certainly the vibe I got during ST and early in the season.

Even when he looked tired to my untrained eyes they sent him out there.

I agree that 140 would be a good target but after how they rode him last year...

47 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm not that worried about Bundy's innings.   Take Jordan Zimmermann for example: he threw 70 professional innings in the year he returned from TJ, and threw 161 the next.    I would not have a problem with Bundy throwing 160-170 next year if he's effective.

Archived