Orioles told Bautista's reps...Orioles fans don't like him

Dark Helmet

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I really dislike Bautista, but no more than I disliked Brett Lawrie when he was a Blue Jay.    

Without further ado, I give you a gallery of white baseball players I don't like:

5c319114_davis.jpg3af4cc98_mlbam.jpg44885ff3_davis.jpge0b8305e_mlbam.jpgb5a2be2f_davis.jpgb942330b_davis.jpg8b8f5cfa_davis.jpg28b48f5c_mlbam.jpg9952f894_mlbam.jpg51133c64_mlbam.jpgc61e922e_mlbam.jpg8b4db8f5_mlbam.jpg988cf862_mlbam.jpg

Like anyone else, there are three constants involved:

1) Success

2) Being a jackass

3) Media perpetuation

3 hours ago, crawjo said:

Here's what you guys don't get about Ortiz. The dude destroyed the Yankees in a way that I don't think any player in baseball history ever did. More than anyone else, he took out the Yankees in that 2004 ALCS. You think just any old personality can do that? You think a nice guy does that? You have to be super-competitive to come through the way he did, over and over again, in the clutch. That you guys don't appreciate that honestly befuddles me.

And as much as I hate to say it, I suspect there's a cultural issue here as well. Bonds, Bautista, Belle, Ortiz...all of them not white. In a sport where more than half the players are white, I find that interesting. You guys will like minority players if they smile and are friendly. But would you hold white players to the same standard? Did you all hate Pete Rose before the scandals in the late 1980s? Did you all hate Paul O'Neill for the same reasons? Or did you just describe them as "intense" and "competitive"? 

Last thing I'll say and then I'll shut up: I happen to know that when SABR published a new book on The Negro Leagues in the late 1990s, Albert Belle personally paid to have a copy of it shipped to every living Negro Leaguer. Sure, easy to do at his salary, but a sincerely thoughtful gesture all the same, and one that he insisted receive no press or media attention. 

Alright I'm done. You guys can go back to preferring Mark Trumbo over Jose Bautista, and wondering why Adam Jones talks about baseball as a "white man's game"...

I get all of that about Ortiz.  I remember watching the Sox in 2004 and I was rooting hard for them, I think we all probably were.  The Yankees were the Evil Empire and the Sox were still the lovable losers, had the Curse going for them and there was no signs ahead of them becoming jerks.  Ortiz was right there, I liked him and had no idea what a raging bag of douche he'd become.  

While 2004 was great at the time and yes he killed the Yankees, he also killed us, too....so I don't care that he killed the Yankees.   He was a whiny crybaby.  I'm assuming you forgot what he did to our dugout phone a few years ago and then couldn't take a good natured ribbing when we gave it to him on his farewell tour this season.  So while he killed the Yankees, he killed us, too....and in the process playing for a franchise that's become equally as annoying and hated as the Yankees.  

As far as you making this a racial issue, I think you should be ashamed of yourself for implying anything close to that.  You can't look at any of those players you've listed and not think they were dickheads.  Bonds had numerous issues, Belle threw a baseball a photographer, ran trick or treaters off the road, Bautista's been well documented for the past couple of seasons...  That's not to say that they haven't done some good things but let's not pretend that each and every one of those players you listed were well known jerks during their time.  

As far as a player I hated on the Yankees, O'Neil was certainly up there.  He was a whiny crybaby, too.  Pouting and borderline crying almost every time he struck out, he looked like a giant prick, much in the way Bautista does.

I happen to be a big Pete Rose fans because I think his actions on the field for his career far outweighed whatever archaic gambling rules he broke.  He played hard, the right way and wasn't anywhere close to the others you mentioned.  

Dunno man, I don't know how you can insinuate other posters being racist like you just did but I hope you feel good about yourself.

Jon Heyman

Bautista has circled back to Baltimore since GM Dan Duquette told them he didn’t think it would work due to fan response toward Bautista. Doesn’t appear the Orioles have had a change of heart, however.

I think it's safe to say that if any player acted like Bautista then I'd be against signing that player. He constantly whines about calls, barks at other players, carries a smug attitude with him that doesn't say "I'm competitive" to me, it says "I am entitled to better calls because I know how to take a walk and hit home runs". I can not stand players like that...Ortiz was also one. Absolutely nothing to do with skin color and I think that is a far fetched idea. I also can't stand Harper and last I checked he was as white as Donald Trump. I hope that Bautista is not Oriole next year or my interest in the game will plummet. I just can't root for guys like that....I will wish him well if he is an O but I can't imagine I will feel the same type of excitement.

12 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Without further ado, I give you a gallery of white baseball players I don't like:

5c319114_davis.jpg3af4cc98_mlbam.jpg44885ff3_davis.jpge0b8305e_mlbam.jpgb5a2be2f_davis.jpgb942330b_davis.jpg8b8f5cfa_davis.jpg28b48f5c_mlbam.jpg9952f894_mlbam.jpg51133c64_mlbam.jpgc61e922e_mlbam.jpg8b4db8f5_mlbam.jpg988cf862_mlbam.jpg

Like anyone else, there are three constants involved:

1) Success

2) Being a jackass

3) Media perpetuation

What did Curt ever do? I always liked his fire on the mound

On 1/5/2017 at 8:21 AM, crawjo said:

I've never understood how Orioles fans have collectively decided to hate certain players over others. The hatred for Ortiz was always bizarre to me, and, frankly, embarrassing. 

Yeah, Orioles fans are the only ones who do this.  Not every other fanbase in sports history. This comment is embarrassing. 

On 1/6/2017 at 0:24 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Almost every non-Oriole fan I have talked to thinks Manny is, at best, a talented jerk.

He has done some jerky things in his career.    Watching him 162 games a year, I don't think he's a jerk on a regular basis.   But maybe I'd feel differently if he were on another team.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He has done some jerky things in his career.    Watching him 162 games a year, I don't think he's a jerk on a regular basis.   But maybe I'd feel differently if he were on another team.    

Just repeating what I have heard.  Living down here in FL I have lots of interaction with Red Sox, Yankee, Blue Jay and Pirate fans.  Even the occasional Rays fan.

Archived