O's talking to Chris Carter

jabba72

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Desmond went to Colorado, 4/70.

5/70 wasn't it? I'd have much rather seen the Orioles do that than give the same money to Trumbo (or whatever it would take to sign Carter), but they are obsessed with those home runs (not that Desmond doesn't hit quite a few himself). And giving up 23 for Desmond wouldn't be much different than not getting one in the low 30s by re-signing Trumbo.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wonder if COL will try to pull a 2-for-1 with Trumbo, similar to what the O's wanted to do for Gallardo/Fowler before Fowler fell through. Their first round pick is already gone so there is no additional cost to sign Trumbo.

They don't really have a spot for Trumbo now. They plan to play Desmond at first quite a bit, according to what they were saying on MLB Network.

1 minute ago, Moondoggie said:

5/70 wasn't it? I'd have much rather seen the Orioles do that than give the same money to Trumbo (or whatever it would take to sign Carter), but they are obsessed with those home runs (not that Desmond doesn't hit quite a few himself). And giving up 23 for Carter wouldn't be much different than not getting one in the low 30s by re-signing Trumbo.

My apologies, you are right.

5/70 and maybe a 6/83 optional.

I think that we need to remember that "moneyball" is not a strategy to get guys with high OBP.  It is, rather, a strategy to try to compete with the rich teams by finding the undervalued assets in the marketplace.  For the last few years, that has been power hitting and relief pitching, and the Orioles have done a great job taking advantage of that, IMO, and have managed to outplay the rich teams over the most recent five-year period as a result.  The league has caught on to the real value of a strong bullpen and , while we still have a very strong pen, we aren't likely to command such a huge competitive advantage there in future years, since late-inning guys are now getting the big bucks.  Power hitting, however, still appears undervalued.  A team with a lot of big bats can win games solely on that, as the Orioles have repeatedly shown.  Yes, it would be nice to be able to fill out a balanced lineup of stars, but, in a division with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays, who has the advantage if all the teams are bidding as much as they can for the same guys?  "If we try to think like the Yankees in here, we will lose to the Yankees out there."

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I think that we need to remember that "moneyball" is not a strategy to get guys with high OBP.  It is, rather, a strategy to try to compete with the rich teams by finding the undervalued assets in the marketplace.  For the last few years, that has been power hitting and relief pitching, and the Orioles have done a great job taking advantage of that, IMO, and have managed to outplay the rich teams over the most recent five-year period as a result.  The league has caught on to the real value of a strong bullpen and , while we still have a very strong pen, we aren't likely to command such a huge competitive advantage there in future years, since late-inning guys are now getting the big bucks.  Power hitting, however, still appears undervalued.  A team with a lot of big bats can win games solely on that, as the Orioles have repeatedly shown.  Yes, it would be nice to be able to fill out a balanced lineup of stars, but, in a division with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays, who has the advantage if all the teams are bidding as much as they can for the same guys?  "If we try to think like the Yankees in here, we will lose to the Yankees out there."

Not sure Moneyball really works.

2 minutes ago, grimed1 said:

Watching him play many games at short, I thought he was good except for the first month.

Yeah, he got off to a terrible start that last season after turning down that big contract, but then settled in and played pretty well. He always made his share of errors, but his range, arm and ability to turn the double play were good. He was never going to win any Gold Gloves, but he wasn't bad. Seems as though the Rockies are planning to play him at first (unless they deal an outfielder).

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

I would sign Carter to DH (a few starts at 1B) and the try and get Cargo or Garder for RF. Get a stopgap C like Castillo or Salty. Sign someone like Jennings to platoon in RF and LF and you're set with your offense.

It would take Gausman or Bundy to get Carlos Gonzalez. That was explored last year and they wanted Gausman. I doubt the Rockies want to trade him now anyway because they feel good about where they are and think they can win.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure Moneyball really works.

It does, if you correctly identify the undervalued assets in the marketplace.  If you just think it is to get high OBP hitters, which now cost a pretty penny, you are just trying to keep up with the Jones's.

1 minute ago, Moondoggie said:

It would take Gausman or Bundy to get Carlos Gonzalez. That was explored last year and they wanted Gausman. I doubt the Rockies want to trade him now anyway because they feel good about where they are and think they can win.

Perhaps. However, he has one year left on his contract so he may be easier to get. Plus, they just made a huge commitment to Desmond, so if BAL is willing to take on the remainder of Gonzalez' salary, you would think maybe Brach/Mancini/Wright (or some similar package) could get it done. 

Archived