The Market Will Come To Dan

Camden_yardbird

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

And yet KC just did it

Wade Davis is very good maybe as good a Britton

Britton had his career year, when he drops off this year and we continue to watch fly ball drop all over the OF folks will begin asking why he wasn't traded at peak value

And perhaps Soler isn't the guy (hence my ?), but we should trade Britton right now and maximize our return IMHO

Britton was perfect last year, of course he's going to have a "drop off". Saying that, Davis is very good, but also has only one more year on his contract left and Britton has two. Davis is not as good as Britton, but I will agree with your argument that he is close, but the extra year adds a lot of value to Britton. Regardless, the Orioles are in wn now mode. They should not be trading players like Britton but rather going after players like Fowler and or Bautista. With the Red Sox's rotiation, they are going to need to mash their way through them and they will need players who get on base and mash, not the Mark Trumbo's of the world. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Britton was perfect last year, of course he's going to have a "drop off". Saying that, Davis is very good, but also has only one more year on his contract left and Britton has two. Davis is not as good as Britton, but I will agree with your argument that he is close, but the extra year adds a lot of value to Britton. Regardless, the Orioles are in wn now mode. They should not be trading players like Britton but rather going after players like Fowler and or Bautista. With the Red Sox's rotiation, they are going to need to mash their way through them and they will need players who get on base and mash, not the Mark Trumbo's of the world. 

I'm assuming that the O's can't afford to keep Britton and sign free agents of the caliber of Fowler, Bautista, or even Trumbo

and I think there are guys who will emerge as major stars in the next 2 years that could be had in a trade. Not my job to know who they are, but the O's desperately need to identify them and make some trades of their near FA assets who they aren't going to sign anyhow. I think we could make another closer. Nobody would have seen Britton coming when he was given the role 4 years ago.

What could we have traded Jim Johnson for after his second 50 save season (after which he stunk). Of course we held too long and got nothing

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Our big FA signings used to be Atkins, Millwood, Tracshel, Hentgen(if only he doesn't get hurt), Raffy(40), Vlad(40), jamie walker, Baez and others.  Wow that was sad.  

I remember when the big free agent signings were Raphael Palmeiro (age 29), Roberto Alomar, Kevin Brown, Randy Myers, B.J. Surhoff, Jimmy Key, Mike Bordick, Eric Davis and Albert Belle. The Orioles even had the highest payroll in baseball one year back then.

23 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

And yet KC just did it

Wade Davis is very good maybe as good a Britton

Britton had his career year, when he drops off this year and we continue to watch fly ball drop all over the OF folks will begin asking why he wasn't traded at peak value

And perhaps Soler isn't the guy (hence my ?), but we should trade Britton right now and maximize our return IMHO

And those are probably the same folks who were wanting the Orioles to trade him last winter.

1 hour ago, Stevie Janowski said:

I'm trying to see them win a World Series before I die.  It's not my fault that you don't care.

Dan can only assemble the teams, he can't play the games. He wasn't available to pitch the 11th in Toronto. He wasn't on the field during the 2014 ALCS collapse. What do you want the guy to do? He's put them in astoundingly good positions the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

You forgot a few:

5. Some posters will whine and cry over every move or non move even if they don't have the full story
6. Some posters will jump to conclusion about other posters not caring about winning a World Series or only wanting to be competitive
7. Some posters just like the attention they got by always focusing on the negative
8. Some posters will never by happy. If the Orioles won a World Series they would still be like, "Why didn't then win another one the year before!"

280c90101ea4340e7ef3a002df6ba6f3.jpg

It is a complicated process.  I am one fortunate son of a gun because I have seen every World Series the Orioles have ever been in.   But we all want one more.  Everybody on this board does.  But then every fan of every single team wants that same exact thing.  Which makes it complicated.  And hard.  Try being a Mariners fan. 

I am grateful for the last five years.  REALLY, really grateful.   To DD, to Buck, even to old man Potter.  I have certainly appreciated a number of DD's moves certainly though others have been not good.   For me in evaluating DD overall, however, I think it is not just can he continue with his consistent strategy of waiting on the market and getting another player or two for 2017 and hope that with our core it gets us over the top.   This is only one part of how I will judge his overall performance.  The main other part is Manny.    Nothing, absolutely nothing, for me spells out what is likely to happen to this organization after 2018 than what is decided about Manny.  EVERYTHING else pales in comparison.    If the old man says "to hell with it" and signs him, great.  If they trade him for a slew of prospects, also great.   But if Manny is just let go after two more productive seasons because DD's style is to wait and wait and hedge and go up to the edge without taking the leap, well, then he will definitely have to own the "letting Machado walk with nothing but a comp pick" impact on this organization after 2018.    

27 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

It is a complicated process.  I am one fortunate son of a gun because I have seen every World Series the Orioles have ever been in.   But we all want one more.  Everybody on this board does.  But then every fan of every single team wants that same exact thing.  Which makes it complicated.  And hard.  Try being a Mariners fan. 

I am grateful for the last five years.  REALLY, really grateful.   To DD, to Buck, even to old man Potter.  I have certainly appreciated a number of DD's moves certainly though others have been not good.   For me in evaluating DD overall, however, I think it is not just can he continue with his consistent strategy of waiting on the market and getting another player or two for 2017 and hope that with our core it gets us over the top.   This is only one part of how I will judge his overall performance.  The main other part is Manny.    Nothing, absolutely nothing, for me spells out what is likely to happen to this organization after 2018 than what is decided about Manny.  EVERYTHING else pales in comparison.    If the old man says "to hell with it" and signs him, great.  If they trade him for a slew of prospects, also great.   But if Manny is just let go after two more productive seasons because DD's style is to wait and wait and hedge and go up to the edge without taking the leap, well, then he will definitely have to own the "letting Machado walk with nothing but a comp pick" impact on this organization after 2018.    

Does anybody really think PA would let DD trade Manny this season? He barely let AM trade Bedard. Does any body think extending Manny is in DD's hands? :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

To get back to the topic, I think the possibilities are starting to thin out.  Jay, Joyce, Gomez, Desmond, Reddick, Pearce are all gone.

Most guys with picks are still floating around.  Fowler is the only one of them that we should be interested in.  With Gomez and Desmond gone, the Cardinals look like they could be after him.

3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Does Rizzo hate you more than Duquette?  Rizzo hasn't had the decency to treat you to a league championship series.

Rizzo definitely hates Nats fans worse. And he definitely does what ownership tells him to. 

9 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Does anybody really think PA would let DD trade Manny this season? He barely let AM trade Bedard. Does any body think extending Manny is in DD's hands? :rolleyes:

If DD has no say, then I am fine with blaming the old man with all of it.  Which certainly very well could be the case.    But it would seem that as GM, DD must make his own independent judgement about what is best for the organization short and long term and then sell it to the old man.  If Potter doesn't go with it, fine.  But I hope that this is what DD is preparing to do.   Trade equals X,  re-signing equals Y,  and letting walk equals Z.    If not, we are going to be in a bad way.     

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

If DD has no say, then I am fine with blaming the old man with all of it.  Which certainly very well could be the case.    But it would seem that as GM, DD must make his own independent judgement about what is best for the organization short and long term and then sell it to the old man.  If Potter doesn't go with it, fine.  But I hope that this is what DD is preparing to do.   Trade equals X,  re-signing equals Y,  and letting walk equals Z.    If not, we are going to be in a bad way.     

I think people need to look at Dan's history with past organizations. He was hardly shy in making deals. His style here is restricted by PA's rules definitely,

Archived