Supply and Demand

Bahama O's Fan

This is the key in economics; does it work for baseball? That has been a question that has been debated for quite some time. I do believe Dan tries to play this game. So, just for fun, would someone with more knowledge than I list the available players for the positions we need, catcher and right fielder along with the "market", the teams looking to fill that space?

13 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

This is the key in economics; does it work for baseball? That has been a question that has been debated for quite some time. I do believe Dan tries to play this game. So, just for fun, would someone with more knowledge than I list the available players for the positions we need, catcher and right fielder along with the "market", the teams looking to fill that space?

Considering the demand for Chris Davis wasn't that high and DD bidder against himself, I'm not sure he does play that game.

11 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

You still haven't figured out that that was PA and not Dan? :rolleyes:

PA may have said get a Davis deal done. But DD is still the one doing the negotiations. You really think PA would spend 160m if he could have closed a deal for 90 or 100m?

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

PA may have said get a Davis deal done. But DD is still the one doing the negotiations. You really think PA would spend 160m if he could have closed a deal for 90 or 100m?

Did you pay attention to the negotiations. PA was on the phone with Boras a number of times, He was totally in charge. Dan was his water boy.

8 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I wasn't saying he was wrong. Just didn't know PA took DD completely out of the loop on it.

I am not certain that any of us know that exactly. I do know that Boras negotiated directly with Mr. Angelos at some point.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-schmuck-column-1125-20151124-column.html

I suspect that you will only hear Dan's opinion of the deal after he leave employment in 2019.

Yeah. But up to then, the Orioles ran the price up against themselves. If Manny isn't in this teams longterm future, signing Davis looks even worse now. Davis isn't a franchise player. Should have took the pick for him, and put Trumbo at 1B for a year, then put Mancini there. Amazing this team has been as good as it has the last 5 years. If not for that, the FO would look just as incompetent as it did during the 14 straight losing seasons.

6 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Yeah. But up to then, the Orioles ran the price up against themselves. If Manny isn't in this teams longterm future, signing Davis looks even worse now. Davis isn't a franchise player. Should have took the pick for him, and put Trumbo at 1B for a year, then put Mancini there. Amazing this team has been as good as it has the last 5 years. If not for that, the FO would look just as incompetent as it did during the 14 straight losing seasons.

In hindsight, this was absolutely the right decisions. Problem A-we couldn't find a right fielder and had no idea what we had in Kim. Problem B-no one knew Trumbo would have the season he had.

49 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

In hindsight, this was absolutely the right decisions. Problem A-we couldn't find a right fielder and had no idea what we had in Kim. Problem B-no one knew Trumbo would have the season he had.

And they still don't have an answer in RF or LF for that matter. No replacement for Manny at 3B or Hardy at SS. The question marks are still there...and growing.

In a perfect world this would be the second best thread on the board right now (behind the Winter Meetings thread). One of the points that we can incorporate is strengths versus weaknesses. The bullpen is a position of strength (the farm system is not). Starting pitching is somewhat a position of strength, just in the simple fact that they have numbers (albeit terrible pitchers at the back end of their rotation). 

If the Orioles choose to address their needs via trade I think trading a bullpen arm for an OF makes the most sense. Ideally one that's a more traditional lead off hitter. DH / power and catcher can be addressed via free agency. And it's too early to worry about 3B and SS. If we end up trading Manny mid-season or during the off season (next year) we might be able to address both of those needs. Just off the top of my head Manny for Bregman / Gurriel would solve both problems...and the Astros seem willing to make a splash. I know they wouldn't part with Bregman for Sale, but if Manny was in play...

Archived