Orioles Bring Back Ondrusek

Number5

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, crawjo said:

I'm actually glad to see this. I had a feeling last year that Ondrusek had more to offer than what he showed. Whatever else can be said for Duquette, I do trust his ability to build a bullpen. 

Yes, and guys who can get a lefty out, they are at a premium.  Good call. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Ondrusek has one option left.   He does take a 40 man roster spot but is probably a split contract between he majors and minors and will only received the major league salary when in the majors. Depth signing.

40 man roster is at 39.

That was my guess. Having the option is key. He may take Worley's spot to start the season but can be sent down.

40 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That was my guess. Having the option is key. He may take Worley's spot to start the season but can be sent down.

The option is big but I don't see Ondrusek replacing Worley.  Worley could give the team 3 or 4 innings if needed.   Ondrusek is a one inning guy that might stretch to 2 innings.   I think Wright , Wilson and Verrett are the candidates to replace Worley.

Actually I think Rickard Rodriguez might be in the running for that job.  I hope they invite him to camp and see what happens.

I dont' think Ondrusek is a direct replacement for anyone at the moment.  I think the MLB pen is basically set since we're stuck with one of Ubaldo/Miley/Gallardo in the pen all year.  

MLB: Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Ubaldo, Miley

MLB: Britton, O'day, Brach, Givens, Hart, Gallardo, OPEN(MILB shuttle)

Guys on the 40 man(Open spot will be rotated through them for a fresh arm)

AAA Rotation: Verret, Wilson, Wright, Gunkel, Macfarland

AAA Bullpen: Drake, Ondrusek, Garcia

AA Rotation: Lee, Acquino, Bridwell, 

AA Bullpen: Liranzo

Unless something changes, I think we'll see Drake win the last spot in the MLB pen with Verret, Wilson and Ondrusek being rotated through the most.  

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I dont' think Ondrusek is a direct replacement for anyone at the moment.  I think the MLB pen is basically set since we're stuck with one of Ubaldo/Miley/Gallardo in the pen all year.  

MLB: Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Ubaldo, Miley

MLB: Britton, O'day, Brach, Givens, Hart, Gallardo, OPEN(MILB shuttle)

Guys on the 40 man(Open spot will be rotated through them for a fresh arm)

AAA Rotation: Verret, Wilson, Wright, Gunkel, Macfarland

AAA Bullpen: Drake, Ondrusek, Garcia

AA Rotation: Lee, Acquino, Bridwell, 

AA Bullpen: Liranzo

Unless something changes, I think we'll see Drake win the last spot in the MLB pen with Verret, Wilson and Ondrusek being rotated through the most.  

Makes sense.

11 minutes ago, theobird said:

I think we see a ML reliever traded off of this scenario. Its the only thing that makes any sense.

Only if we get desperate to fill RF. Tillman and Gausman are the only two SP's that pitch consistently into the 6th inning.  Bundy will be on an innings limit.  160 IP tops.  So he won't be pitching too late into games.  Who knows what you're going to get from the three vets when they start.  

The key to our success since 2012 have been strong bullpens that support shaky rotations.  In most games that we win we will need 3/4 of Britton, O'day, Brach, Givens to pitch.  I just don't see where we have excess.  We have depth, but it's not like we won't have plenty of high leverage innings to go around.  

Archived