Steve Phillips: 'I Think Manny Machado's A Better Player Than Bryce Harper'

PressBoxOnline

At this point in their careers, I don't think that's really a shocking statement. Harper gets a lot of hype and his 2015 season was out of this world, but he's shown he's inconsistent while Manny's been showing steady improvement. I think the upside at the plate probably still favors Harper slightly, but Manny seems more predictable at this point. He also offers the bat at a more premium position with the ability to offer gold glove level 3B and a very strong defense at SS. Harper, meanwhile, is a corner OF.

This statement is correct. I am not even a Harper hater, he just seems overrated if we are talking how he is talked up or viewed. Until we see more, 2015 seems more like the fluke year.

It's not that he doesn't have all the talent in the world, because he does, but something is off with him and I don't think he will sustain a long career. Always banged up or always some issue. Anyone who gives him that $400m+ contract (he will get it) will regret it

30 minutes ago, canonfaz said:

Duh.

:)

As both and O's and Nats fan, there is no debate right now. Manny. Plus, he isn't a completely obnoxious child.

I would definitely rather have Manny but if Harper is 100% healthy one year, look out.

Manny only took 48 BB's last year

That need to go up by a lot for him to reach his potential

Harper's OBP will keep him a very productive offensive player for a long time

Will Manny look like Adam Jones past 30?

A red flag for giving him a 10+ year contract for say his 26-36 age seasons

34 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Manny only took 48 BB's last year

That need to go up by a lot for him to reach his potential

Harper's OBP will keep him a very productive offensive player for a long time

Will Manny look like Adam Jones past 30?

A red flag for giving him a 10+ year contract for say his 26-36 age seasons

I don't really see it as a red flag.   48 walks is not a lot, but it's 9 more than Jones has ever had in a season.    And Manny did walk 70 times in 2015.   I think Manny does need to be more disciplined than he was in the second half of last season, but we know he's capable of doing that because he's done it before.   Jones, on the other hand, may simply not be capable of being any better than he is at laying off bad pitches.

Archived