Orioles Officially sign Catcher Welington Castillo

Machado13

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

If we get him on a one year deal fairly cheap, I don't know that it closes the door on Matt. He could back up Matt and allow for much more rest for Matt. Be much better than Caleb.

Castillo, at minimum, is going to be looking at 5-6 million dollars per year. The Orioles are not going to pay a No. 2 catcher that much money. If Castillo signs, goodbye Matt.

13 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Very, very odd that Rotoworld and MLBTR have not picked this up yet.  But FanRag and that article must be legit, since Heyman is very much legit and I can't imagine him working for a site that publishes fake stories.

Just remember, they leaked a story just like this about momentum building and even an offer out to Cespedes last year while they were negotiating with Davis. My guess is that Wieters is still the Orioles' preference and Boras will have a chance to take what they are offering before anything with Castillo becomes binding.

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I think I'd still rather have Wieters.

The one thing about Wieters that I do like, is that on a team without a lot of clutch hitters, I think he may be our most clutch. I have no stats to back this up, but I seem to remember that he did get some game tying and winning hits moreso than the others.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Just remember, they leaked a story just like this about momentum building and even an offer out to Cespedes last year while they were negotiating with Davis. My guess is that Wieters is still the Orioles' preference and Boras will have a chance to take what they are offering before anything with Castillo becomes binding.

I'm sure before any ink is dry they'll give Wieters one more shot. It's just good business. Doesn't meant he'll capitulate to their demands, though.

I saw the article about the Cubs wanting Castillo to improve throwing out runners but the truth is he has a good CS%. He has a career CS% of 31% to Wieters’ 33%. Runners don’t attempt to steal versus Castillo much more than Wieters. Wieters is clearly better but for a while Wieters was really great at throwing out runners so just being a little blow Wieters by some of the metrics doesn’t bode poorly for Castillo. FWIW, Fangraphs fan scouting reports rate Castillo’s arm very well. I think the idea that he is one of the worst throwing catchers is clearing wrong.

32 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Very, very odd that Rotoworld and MLBTR have not picked this up yet.  But FanRag and that article must be legit, since Heyman is very much legit and I can't imagine him working for a site that publishes fake stories.

In any case, Castillo is a classic Duquette target.  Not very good K/BB profile but hits the ball hard. Right handed hitter, doesn't need to be platooned. MLBTR only projected him for a $5.9 million salary this year in his last year of arbitration before he was somewhat shockingly non-tendered. He's young enough to get a multi-year contract, but hopefully the fact that he was non-tendered at such a low salary means he won't be shooting for more than $6-7 million a year.

I kind of chuckled a bit at this.  Yes, Heyman is "legit" in that we know who he is, but he's certainly always seemed like a shill for the agents, especially Boras, to me. 

50 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

In any case, Castillo is a classic Duquette target.  Not very good K/BB profile but hits the ball hard. Right handed hitter, doesn't need to be platooned. MLBTR only projected him for a $5.9 million salary this year in his last year of arbitration before he was somewhat shockingly non-tendered. He's young enough to get a multi-year contract, but hopefully the fact that he was non-tendered at such a low salary means he won't be shooting for more than $6-7 million a year.

Just because a source told them does not mean it will come to fruition. I think it is clear there is mutual interest. 

25 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I kind of chuckled a bit at this.  Yes, Heyman is "legit" in that we know who he is, but he's certainly always seemed like a shill for the agents, especially Boras, to me. 

He has always seemed to be a Boras messanger. But why would he release information that could put pressure on a Boras client?

Archived