The 40 Man Roster

Legend_Of_Joey

With Welington Castillo passing his physical and making his signing official, the Orioles now have a full 40 man roster.

With there still being 2 months until reporting dates for Spring Training and a need for a right fielder still, what would you do with the 40 man roster right now? Who would you trade, release, or DFA to make room for another signing?

Pena is out of options

Adam Walker may be just filler and clear waivers because of his high K rates

Christian Walker has no positive position and is deep depth at first base.

Aquino and McFarland are lefty bullpen guys with McFarland being out of options.

Any upgrade to the roster would make these five the expendable candidates. IMO

Aquino and McFarland are both out of options and it's hard to see them having a shot at the roster without some trades where we give up pitching.

Pena, the Rule 5 guys and Ondrusek are safe until well into ST.

The two LHP and the 2 Walkers seem the most vulnerable to me right now, and I would think Dariel Alvarez could potentially be in danger of losing his spot at some point in 2017, though not right away.

7 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Regarding Alvarez, I remember that one "passionate" poster suggesting something I thought made sense-why not see what Alvarez can do from the mound? He has a gun! I thought that was a very good idea.

It was talked about how he was supposed to spend the winter working as a pitcher, but didn't for whatever reason.

One thing that gets me is the drafting of Anthony Santander. He won't play for a while next season due to his injury. If he ends up on the 60 day DL, does he come off the 40?

Adam Walker seems the most likely to be optioned (if he has options, I don't know much about that stuff). Christian Walker was listed at first base, but he was working in the outfield last season. I can see him coming up again if he gets his stride back at Norfolk after his personal stuff last season and being bench depth.

35 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It was talked about how he was supposed to spend the winter working as a pitcher, but didn't for whatever reason.

One thing that gets me is the drafting of Anthony Santander. He won't play for a while next season due to his injury. If he ends up on the 60 day DL, does he come off the 40?

Adam Walker seems the most likely to be optioned (if he has options, I don't know much about that stuff). Christian Walker was listed at first base, but he was working in the outfield last season. I can see him coming up again if he gets his stride back at Norfolk after his personal stuff last season and being bench depth.

A player on the 60-day disabled list does not take up a spot on the 40-man roster, yet would not be required to be offered back to the original team, if a Rule-5 player.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Wow-interesting. Thank you for sharing this info. I didn't know.

3 hours ago, Number5 said:

A player on the 60-day disabled list does not take up a spot on the 40-man roster, yet would not be required to be offered back to the original team, if a Rule-5 player.

Thanks. I can see them going that route with Santander to free up space. He is dealing with labrum surgey (which I just had too) and will definitely not be healthy for most of the season. As a comparison, I had surgery at the very end of October and have an estimated "healed" timetable of 10-12 months. Granted, I'm not a baseball player, but I do have a physical job.

2 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Wow-interesting. Thank you for sharing this info. I didn't know.

No problem. If I can find the conversation I saw, I'll post it. I believe some other people on this board mentioned it too.

4 hours ago, thezeroes said:

When a Rule 5 player is on the "60 Day DL" his 90 day clock to be on the Twenty-Five goes on hold.  He would still have to meet that requirement (90 days on the active twenty-Five) to be retained.

Yes.  If the player is short of 90 days, he begins the following season under rule 5 restrictions, as well, until he meets the 90-day requirement.  Fortunately, the 30+ days with expanded rosters from September 1 thru the end of the season do count, so the number of days where the roster allows only 24 other players isn't really 90 in that case.

Archived