Is Dan Duquette thinking of Trumbo as an outfielder?

wildcard

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Larry18 said:

Being afraid of hurting yourself isn't a phobia. People that don't have this ability end up with Darwin Awards or roles in Jackass movies.

I spend hours on youtube amusing myself watching them. :D

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Funny, somehow when I read it I overlooked the team Davis had signed with, and thought it was us.    That's why I said it was worthy of its own thread.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-free-agency-reset-what-they-need-and-who-s-left-on-the-market-20170103-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Trumbo, believe it or not, has a chance to be the best DH in the AL this season.  David Ortiz retiring has most to do with that.  Nelson Cruz (36), Albert Pujols (37), Victor Martinez (38) and Carlos Beltran (40) are old.  Carlos Santana is moving to full time 1B to make room for Edwin Encarnacion, who is leaving Toronto.  Miguel Sano is moving to 3B.  Evan Gattis, maybe?  It ain't Kendrys Morales.

There is no way Trumbo can be the best RF in the AL.

8 hours ago, crawjo said:

Mark Trumbo had a worse OPS+ (120) than Cruz (147), Martinez (123), Beltran (122), and Encarnacion (133). And OPS overinflates Trumbo's value because it weighs slugging and OBP equally. 

True on the former, false on the latter. Just a matter of opinion. Actually. 

54 minutes ago, weams said:

In which league? What set of rules?

Doesn't matter.   As a general proposition, OBP needs to be weighted more heavily than SLG if you want to create the measure that correlates most closely to runs scored.     

Just by way of example, Baltimore had a higher OPS and SLG than Cleveland, Seattle, Texas and Toronto, and yet all four of those teams scored more runs than we did.  All four had a higher OBP than we did.   

By the way, I think it's not necessarily the case that, because OBP should be more heavily weighted, that means OBP is "more important."    It's more that the two simply can't be measured on the same scale.    Among AL qualifiers last year, OBP varied from .288 to .441, but SLG varied from .336 to .621.   So really, you'd have to weigh OBP more heavily to come up with a mechanism where the differences between players in each stat were equally meaningful.   That's without even getting into the fact that the run scoring value of a single, double, triple or homer doesn't really vary by a 1:2:3:4 ratio.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Doesn't matter.   As a general proposition, OBP needs to be weighted more heavily than SLG if you want to create the measure that correlates most closely to runs scored.     

Just by way of example, Baltimore had a higher OPS and SLG than Cleveland, Seattle, Texas and Toronto, and yet all four of those teams scored more runs than we did.  All four had a higher OBP than we did.   

By the way, I think it's not necessarily the case that, because OBP should be more heavily weighted, that means OBP is "more important."    It's more that the two simply can't be measured on the same scale.    Among AL qualifiers last year, OBP varied from .288 to .441, but SLG varied from .336 to .621.   So really, you'd have to weigh OBP more heavily to come up with a mechanism where the differences between players in each stat were equally meaningful.   That's without even getting into the fact that the run scoring value of a single, double, triple or homer doesn't really vary by a 1:2:3:4 ratio.

Thank you. Good lesson. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I specifically appreciated that you used examples from the American DH, home run hitting league. 

Archived