Seth Smith trade impact on Trumbo

ChuckS

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think its mostly a salary dump and trades two mediocre players advanced in age,I hope it doesn't mean they're giving up on signing Trumbo. We might have benefitted from Gallardo finding himself next year..but its a roll of the dice. So is Smith. This is an OK trade, but nothing to get excited about. I still want Trumbo back,

Except for Mark Viviano, nobody is saying we fleeced them (other than a poster or two). I think people (I know I am) just excited to get rid of Gallardo.

Man, that Gallardo was definitely worth the #14 pick of the draft, wasn't he?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

He's a lefty.  The Smith trade pretty much eliminates him from contention unless they seem him as an everyday outfielder and he has a similar defensive profile to Smith. 

IMO if we add another RH bat he needs to be able to play RF everyday.  I like adding another lefty right fielder given that Rickard is the third/fourth outfielder right now.  

I'm confused.   Right now we have Kim, Rickard and Smith.    Against RHP, Kim and Smith figure to start.   Against LHP, wouldn't we want another RHB rather than being forced to start Kim?

Just get Pagan, he's a switch hitter and everyone's happy.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I'm confused.   Right now we have Kim, Rickard and Smith.    Against RHP, Kim and Smith figure to start.   Against LHP, wouldn't we want another RHB rather than being forced to start Kim?

Kim won't start against Lefties. And Dan is not done. 

10 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Except for Mark Viviano, nobody is saying we fleeced them (other than a poster or two). I think people (I know I am) just excited to get rid of Gallardo.

Man, that Gallardo was definitely worth the #14 pick of the draft, wasn't he?

I think Seth Smith is about the ceiling short term for a number 14 pick. Don't you? 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I think Seth Smith is about the ceiling short term for a number 14 pick. Don't you? 

Nice logic. So you know we wouldn't have drafted a SP? Oh and Seth costs a wee bit more and is 34 years old.

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He is much better than Trumbo. Fangraphs has him +0.6 and -13.0 runs the last two years vs Trumbo -9.7 and -18.3. Bbref has him -.6 and -1.2 dWAR vs Trumbo -1.0 and -2.1. So Smith is only about half as bad as Trumbo and better than Kim (-10.9 runs and -1.6 dWAR). It looks like Smith will be playing some outfield whether that is with Kim in LF or at DH.

To be fair to both players, the Fangraphs defensive value includes positional adjustments -- both guys DHed in dozens of games, so that number isn't just reflecting their overall defensive performance. It's actually penalizing both (heavily) for frequently being slotted in the DH spot.

If you're talking about actual defensive performance in the OF:

Trumbo 2015-16: -15 DRS, -10.6 UZR (-9.6 UZR/150)

Smith 2015-16: -6 DRS, -1.1 UZR (-0.9 UZR/150)

Per the metrics, Trumbo was below-average in 2015 and very poor in 2016. Smith was also very poor in 2016, but he was actually above-average to good in 2015.  Pretty hard to know exactly what you're going to get at Smith's age -- but unless last season's "fall off the cliff" performance is really all he's capable of anymore, he's generally been a mediocre, average-ish defensive OF. Which is a lot more than Trumbo can say.

3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Nice logic. So you know we wouldn't have drafted a SP? Oh and Seth costs a wee bit more and is 34 years old.

Oh, I agree long term. I just meant in the here and now he turned the situation about as well as could be expected. It's not like he gave up developed prospects like Giolito and Lopez for him.

Just now, weams said:

Oh, I agree long term. I just meant in the here and now he turned the situation about as well as could be expected. It's not like he gave up developed prospects like Giolito and Lopez for him.

Sigh...:) Too soon on Eaton:) awful.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like Rickard in RF against LHP.  With that said, I am fine with playing Pagan out there everyday. 

A player like Colby Rasmus would make sense if the plan was to platoon him in right with Rickard.  I think that platoon could outhit Pagan and be just as good defensively.  

Archived