TT: Smith for Gallardo trade a good step, but now what?

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, schittenden said:

Am I missing something? Why would the Orioles be giving up a draft pick to sign Trumbo?

Because they receive a 1st round supplemental pick if he signs elsewhere, which they don't get if he signs with the O's.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I personally believe that the Rule 5 guys are competition for Rickard, and there's no way one of them and Rickard will be on the OD roster.   Buck will have a vet in the other spot.  

I agree. They are also insurance if he hasn't completely healed.

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I personally believe that the Rule 5 guys are competition for Rickard, and there's no way one of them and Rickard will be on the OD roster.   Buck will have a vet in the other spot.  

absolutely.   And if one of them is even close, they will keep the Rule 5 guy as Rickard has options. 

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Buck has now seen Kim play for an entire season.  That's different from saying things about a player you've never seen play.   If you look at Kim's season, he only played in 12 of the first 43 games (8 starts).    That's on Buck, fine.   After that, he played in 34 of 44 up until a DL stint (30 starts), and then 49 of 64 (40 starts) after he returned.    Based on that, I think it's safe to expect Kim to play 2/3 of the time this year, and Buck has made it clear that he'd like to give Kim more opportunities vs. LHP in 2017, so I think he'll play more like 3/4 of the time.    

I agree with this.  I also don't discount the possibility that the way Buck handled the situation (in bringing him along slowly) may have benefited both Kim and the Orioles.

On 1/7/2017 at 7:13 PM, Number5 said:

I agree with this.  I also don't discount the possibility that the way Buck handled the situation (in bringing him along slowly) may have benefited both Kim and the Orioles.

On 1/7/2017 at 7:13 PM, Number5 said:

You bought that? Had Buck played Kim thru spring training and then picked his spots early on in the regular season then I'd be more apt to agree. But let's face facts, Buck made a quick decision on Kim then tried to get him to go back to Korea or the minors by not playing him at all. He then gave a rule 5 guy a full time position while Kim sat. Buck didn't start giving Kim shots until Rickard stopped hitting righties and every time Kim got a chance he was getting on base. 

Kim was successful last year despite Buck, not because of him.

There's a bunch of ways we could go here.  

Option A- Bautista/Trumbo and Bourn

Whoever we signed would DH mainly with Bourn mainly being a late inning defensive sub and Pinch Runner.  

Option B- Alvarez/Carter/Valbuenna and Bourn/Tavarez

Sign a DH.  Let Smith be the everyday RF.  Bourn or Tavarez would have a little bit bigger role.  

Option C- Pagan/Saunders/Rasmus for RF.  Then ideally look for a RH OF to possibly platoon with like a Reimold/Stubbs/Francouer/Guiterrez.  

There's still lots of time left before ST starts(6 weeks).  Seems like we've been connected to a lot of these options.  If we don't get Bautista then I think the best fit would be Pagan.  He really wouldn't need a platoon buddy, but I'd still like to see us sign a vet OF for the last bench spot and not roll with a rule 5 guy.  Adding Pagan and Smith would make us a little bit different team than last year.    

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Said this already, Valbeuna's numbers as a DH are mediocre

Yeah, that's not where his value is.  I don't think the team that signs him would use him primarily as a DH.  He is a 3B/1B that can play 2B when needed.  He might even be able to play OF.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You bought that? Had Buck played Kim thru spring training and then picked his spots early on in the regular season then I'd be more apt to agree. But let's face facts, Buck made a quick decision on Kim then tried to get him to go back to Korea or the minors by not playing him at all. He then gave a rule 5 guy a full time position while Kim sat. Buck didn't start giving Kim shots until Rickard stopped hitting righties and every time Kim got a chance he was getting on base. 

Kim was successful last year despite Buck, not because of him.

I didn't buy into anything.  I simply acknowledge the possibility that bringing Kim along slowly may have been beneficial.  His extremely slow start in spring training would seem to support this.  Or, maybe you are absolutely right.  Certainly no way to know.

On 1/6/2017 at 4:52 PM, ChuckS said:

I don't think he is.  The metrics weren't kind to him in limited time out there, but I think there is potential for him to be at least average out there with some experience.  He played CF in the minors.  

Agreed - he's actually a decent CF who had a little trouble adjusting to LF.  I would definitely feel comfortable with him defensively as a platoon LFer and/or as a backup CFer.    

On 1/7/2017 at 0:36 PM, Frobby said:

I think the presumption should be against Rickard making it. He no longer has Rule 5 status so there is no downside to keeping him at AAA. Especially since we know that Rickard's defense is mediocre and that would be his biggest role as a righty 4th OF.

DD has always made every effort to keep the Rule 5 guys and find a role for them, not just "competition". I see it as analogous to 2015 when they brought in Verrett and Garcia and managed to find a way to keep Garcia in a crowded bullpen.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think the presumption should be against Rickard making it. He no longer has Rule 5 status so there is no downside to keeping him at AAA. Especially since we know that Rickard's defense is mediocre and that would be his biggest role as a righty 4th OF.

DD has always made every effort to keep the Rule 5 guys and find a role for them, not just "competition". I see it as analogous to 2015 when they brought in Verrett and Garcia and managed to find a way to keep Garcia in a crowded bullpen.

Well, yes, but they also let Verrett go.  They also returned the Red Sox infielder that we ended up getting back again (can't recall his name).  It isn't as if they always keep Rule 5 guys the whole season, regardless of the situation.  I think that we'll see the Orioles start the season with Santander on the 60-day DL.  They will then have the opportunity to see how he does in a rehab assignment before making a decision later in the season.  Tavarez has to earn a spot, IMO, and it won't be easy for him since we have added Smith.

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Well, yes, but they also let Verrett go.  They also returned the Red Sox infielder that we ended up getting back again (can't recall his name).  It isn't as if they always keep Rule 5 guys the whole season, regardless of the situation.  I think that we'll see the Orioles start the season with Santander on the 60-day DL.  They will then have the opportunity to see how he does in a rehab assignment before making a decision later in the season.  Tavarez has to earn a spot, IMO, and it won't be easy for him since we have added Smith.

Yes they let Verrett and Almanzar go but they did also bring both back.  I think ample evidence exists that they put a lot of stock in the players they select.

Archived