Sonny Gray?

millertime

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

As of now Sonny Gray is a buy low candidate.  No team is giving up top prospects for him this offseason; otherwise he would have been traded by now.  The A's are smart not to trade him at his lowest value, but if he continues to struggle in 2017 then the O's wouldn't even want to offer one of Sisco or Sedlock for him.

But there's no reason for the A's to sell low on him. Why would they do it? It makes no sense. He's under team control for three years. You aren't going to get a 27-year-old pitcher with his pedigree on a buy-low proposition for a team that won 69 games last year. They would only trade him if they were getting back quality prospects, which, again, the Orioles don't have. 

2 hours ago, crawjo said:

I love these threads that seem to get started every week, in which people speculate about acquiring somebody who would cost way more than the Orioles can pay with their depleted farm system.

Note to everyone: we have NO elite talent in our farm system right now, not one blue chip prospect. You aren't going to get a big piece by throwing together a bunch of marginal prospects. 

I am not usually confrontational, I get negative joy from arguing.  But, posts like this (in general, not specifically yours) do bother me.  It's a message board and discussing possibilities for your team is, I would think, one of the more enjoyable aspects.   I'll happily take one of these threads a week, the highlight of my lunch at work is reading this board, so the more "ideas" that are obviously at least somewhat reasonable (and as others have said, Gray is a buy low candidate right now and IMO a possible trade target (which I am against FWIW)) the better!  Just my two cents.   Now please continue this debate so I can back to reading and eating my ice cream.   

2 hours ago, murph said:

I am not usually confrontational, I get negative joy from arguing.  But, posts like this (in general, not specifically yours) do bother me.  It's a message board and discussing possibilities for your team is, I would think, one of the more enjoyable aspects.   I'll happily take one of these threads a week, the highlight of my lunch at work is reading this board, so the more "ideas" that are obviously at least somewhat reasonable (and as others have said, Gray is a buy low candidate right now and IMO a possible trade target (which I am against FWIW)) the better!  Just my two cents.   Now please continue this debate so I can back to reading and eating my ice cream.   

Thanks Murph.  I feel the same way but the OH has always had people that complain about valid posts and always will.  It's the biggest reason I rarely post on here anymore.  Too many people on high horses that feel like their opinions is all that matters.

3 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Yeah the same guy who posted a 2.88ERA 3.36FIP 3.49xFIP over 491.0IP from 2013-2015 and who is now still only 27 years old.

That's the point.  If I'm Oakland, I would trade him after a bounce-back season.  He's not a free agent until 2020.  Sell high.  If I'm trading him now, then I probably don't expect that bounce-back season.

But... in today's market, it seems that sometimes, years of control mean more than performance.

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I have a feeling Sonny Gray either isnt sound physically of is a player whose best years, even for his age, are behind him...

My opinion and one others hold as well. I always thought Gausman was better. Anyway. 

6 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

That's the point.  If I'm Oakland, I would trade him after a bounce-back season.  He's not a free agent until 2020.  Sell high.  If I'm trading him now, then I probably don't expect that bounce-back season.

But... in today's market, it seems that sometimes, years of control mean more than performance.

The team that owns a pitcher, knows him best. Except Jake of course. It was like a miracle. Over night. After they sent him to the minors and did something to his brain or his body. 

10 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Yeah the same guy who posted a 2.88ERA 3.36FIP 3.49xFIP over 491.0IP from 2013-2015 and who is now still only 27 years old.

So are you saying his terrible 2016 doesn't affect his trade value significantly?

15 hours ago, crawjo said:

I love these threads that seem to get started every week, in which people speculate about acquiring somebody who would cost way more than the Orioles can pay with their depleted farm system.

Note to everyone: we have NO elite talent in our farm system right now, not one blue chip prospect. You aren't going to get a big piece by throwing together a bunch of marginal prospects. 

Keep in mind, though, threads like this are where some fans get enlightened to this sad truth, so there's still some value in them.  The Orioles are terrible at drafting and player development for the most part.  Therefore, clubs interested in trading a star player won't view the O's as potential suitors until they get better at evaluating amateur talent and then molding them into legitimate MLB players.  

4 minutes ago, ScottieBaseball said:

Keep in mind, though, threads like this are where some fans get enlightened to this sad truth, so there's still some value in them.  The Orioles are terrible at drafting and player development for the most part.  Therefore, clubs interested in trading a star player won't view the O's as potential suitors until they get better at evaluating amateur talent and then molding them into legitimate MLB players.  

I think the current problem is more in the realm of the O's selling/forfeiting draft picks and trading assets for marginal upgrades. 

Archived