Sonny Gray?

millertime

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, millertime said:

Reports say that a handful of teams have been in contact with the A's in regard to trading for Sonny Gray.  If he is indeed available, would anyone here want the O's to inquire?  I've always liked him personally.  What do you think the A's would want for him?

You would have to raid the major league roster to have any chance of landing Gray.  My guess is even with raiding the ML roster the O's would be outbid.

1 hour ago, millertime said:

Reports say that a handful of teams have been in contact with the A's in regard to trading for Sonny Gray.  If he is indeed available, would anyone here want the O's to inquire?  I've always liked him personally.  What do you think the A's would want for him?

Isn't he unhealthy?

I love these threads that seem to get started every week, in which people speculate about acquiring somebody who would cost way more than the Orioles can pay with their depleted farm system.

Note to everyone: we have NO elite talent in our farm system right now, not one blue chip prospect. You aren't going to get a big piece by throwing together a bunch of marginal prospects. 

Didn't we go through the Sonny Gray thread last winter?  It seemed that the consensus was that the Orioles would need to give up every player they have except Manny to obtain the magnificent services of Mr. Gray.  If you get the sense that I think he is way overrated, that would be a yes. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Didn't we go through the Sonny Gray thread last winter?  It seemed that the consensus was that the Orioles would need to give up every player they have except Manny to obtain the magnificent services of Mr. Gray.  If you get the sense that I think he is way overrated, that would be a yes. 

Correct but that was last year and Gray had a, let's say, less than subpar season so perhaps it wouldn't take "the farm" to land him.  Not suggesting the A's would give him away for nothing but perhaps Gausman and Bundys names would get dropped from the mix.

2 hours ago, crawjo said:

I love these threads that seem to get started every week, in which people speculate about acquiring somebody who would cost way more than the Orioles can pay with their depleted farm system.

Note to everyone: we have NO elite talent in our farm system right now, not one blue chip prospect. You aren't going to get a big piece by throwing together a bunch of marginal prospects. 

Amen. 

3 hours ago, El Gordo said:

They would want one of Bundy or Gausman plus.

If the A's traded Gray now they know they'd be selling low on him, and they would realize they aren't getting one of two pitchers who are younger and had a better season at the major league level than Gray did last season.

A package led by Sisco and Sedlock could perhaps get Gray.  As of this offseason no team would be dumb enough to trade a Gausman or Bundy for him after the horrendous 2016 he had.

2 hours ago, crawjo said:

As of now Sonny Gray is a buy low candidate.  No team is giving up top prospects for him this offseason; otherwise he would have been traded by now.  The A's are smart not to trade him at his lowest value, but if he continues to struggle in 2017 then the O's wouldn't even want to offer one of Sisco or Sedlock for him.

Archived