Sonny Gray?

millertime

9 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

If internally the A's indeed are worried that Gray cannot rebound, then one of Sisco/Sedlock plus others would be enough for him, maybe more than enough.  If the A's are pretty confident/hopeful 2016 was an aberration, then there's no reason trade him unless teams are valuing him like it's 2015.  But the only reason Gray's name would come up at all this offseason is because of speculation the A's might sell low.  I'd wager no team is giving up their best prospects for Gray until he shows his old form.  Any GM that gives up top prospects for Gray at this point in time is risking his job.

I think that even if the A's are worried another team would beat that offer.

And most teams wouldn't have to touch one of their top guys to beat the O's offer.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that even if the A's are worried another team would beat that offer.

And most teams wouldn't have to touch one of their top guys to beat the O's offer.

Yeah, this is true.  Still, it's not like Sisco and Sedlock are C+ prospects.  They're more highly regarded than that.  If the O's were to trade them any time soon I'd rather they trade them for someone more stable than Sonny Gray.

10 hours ago, crawjo said:

Sorry, I think there should be a higher standard for starting a new thread than that somebody just thought of a player it would be cool for the Orioles to acquire. And it's hard for me to understand your last sentence when I'm not the one starting a new thread about something for which there is no news. 

Dude...this is a message board where people should be able discuss their opinions about anything Orioles...not just reported news.  As one poster DID state however, I read the MLBTR article about the Rangers showing interest in Gray and Gray is a guy that's always intrigued me so that's why I started the post.  What I don't understand is there are many people on here, like yourself, that find it necessary to complain if you don't find a post relevant in YOUR eyes.  If you don't like a particular post/topic, then just don't respond.  It's that simple.

18 hours ago, CheeryO said:

Yeah, this is true.  Still, it's not like Sisco and Sedlock are C+ prospects.  They're more highly regarded than that.  If the O's were to trade them any time soon I'd rather they trade them for someone more stable than Sonny Gray.

That's fine, but you also wont get anyone with anywhere near the same upside. You pay for safe and you pay for upside, you don't get both upside and safe for the price of one.

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

That's fine, but you also wont get anyone with anywhere near the same upside. You pay for safe and you pay for upside, you don't get both upside and safe for the price of one.

At the age of 27 "upside" is less of an issue with Gray at this point; now it's more about consistency.  Would the team trading for him be trading for another Ubaldo Jimenez or Jeremy Hellickson rather than an ace with one bad year.

Just now, CheeryO said:

At the age of 27 "upside" is less of an issue with Gray at this point; now it's more about consistency.  Would the team trading for him be trading for another Ubaldo Jimenez or Jeremy Hellickson rather than something that once looked like a true ace.  

Hecllickson was a notorious over-performer.  In 2011-2012 he had a 1.495 differential in his ERA and FIP. 

Anyone that thought he was an ace in the making wasn't paying attention.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hecllickson was a notorious over-performer.  In 2011-2012 he had a 1.495 differential in his ERA and FIP. 

Anyone that thought he was an ace in the making wasn't paying attention.

Really the reason I brought up Hellickson is because baseball-reference.com has Hellickson as a comparable pitcher on Sonny Gray's page.  I didn't even think of the comparison on my own.  Even if he isn't the best comp the point remains.

6 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

Really the reason I brought up Hellickson is because baseball-reference.com has Hellickson as a comparable pitcher on Sonny Gray's page.  I didn't even think of the comparison on my own.  Even if he isn't the best comp the point remains.

Fair enough.

• 7 months later...

o

Sonny Gray's father died in a car accident when Sonny was a Freshman in high school.

This article, originally published in March of 2015 when Gray was entering his 3rd season in the Major Leagues, discusses how Gray has dealt with the tragedy.

Death of Father Focused Athletics' Sonny Gray

(By Carl Steward)

http://www.mercurynews.com/2015/03/31/death-of-father-focused-as-sonny-gray/

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

Sonny Gray's father died in a car accident when Sonny was a Freshman in high school.

This article, originally published in March of 2015 when Gray was entering his 3rd season in the Major Leagues, discusses how Gray has dealt with the tragedy.

Death of Father Focused Athletics' Sonny Gray

(By Carl Steward)

http://www.mercurynews.com/2015/03/31/death-of-father-focused-as-sonny-gray/

o

Thats a hard thing to get through. 

Archived