Realistic Trade Targets for the Orioles. Make Your Suggestions And/Or Weigh in

wildbillhiccup

I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to hypothetical trade targets for the Orioles. A place where folks can make suggestions and/or play arm chair GM and come up with potential trade scenarios and allow the rest of us to weigh in. This way we don't clutter the board with individual threads for each suggestion. I'll start the process. 

My suggested trade target is Jurickson Profar. 23 year old player/prospect for the Texas Rangers who has split time between 2b, 3b, SS, and OF.  

I love this guy and it seems like he's about to be the out man out (again) in Texas. Right now he's slated to be part of a 1B platoon but if the Rangers sign Napoli it will move him into a utility role. I think demonstrated last season (for stretches) that he bat leadoff and that he's versatile enough to play just about anywhere. With that in mind I have two questions. 

1) Is there an opening on our team for him this season? Could we plug him in as our primary LF with the intention of moving back to the infield next where when Hardy walks (assuming they don't exercise his option)?

2) Do we have what it would take to land him? I'm assuming the Rangers would be be looking for pitching in return. Would a package centered around Brach be enough? Or maybe this is the right situation for us to entertain trading Britton? 

Scouting Report Article on Profar from 2016 - http://www.lonestarball.com/2016/2/2/10892900/player-review-jurickson-profar

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Are we talking one trade to help go for it this year, one trade to rebuild, one value trade, etc?

Trey Mancini for Kyle Freeland makes a lot of sense to me if the Rockies can manage to shop one of their current OFers.

Good idea.

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Are we talking one trade to help go for it this year, one trade to rebuild, one value trade, etc?

Trey Mancini for Kyle Freeland makes a lot of sense to me if the Rockies can manage to shop one of their current OFers.

It can be either or. And I do like your trade idea. I think in a perfect world we'd acquire someone young (ideally an OF) who could help us now and also be part of the future. 

4 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Another trade that I think makes some sense if the Diamondbacks still see themselves as competitive would be Mychal Givens to ARI for Domingo Leyba who put up a .301/.374/.436 line in AA in his age 20 season.

No, not that type of deal for me. Givens was bringing back big offers. 

16 minutes ago, paulcoates said:

I dont see how Jimenez adds anything to any trade.  I wouldn't think Kim has a lot of trade value.  Mancini may be interesting to certain teams, but I doubt that package gets you Bruce and Wheeler

Wouldn't Bruce be a salary dump?

Don't get me wrong, if the Mets would trade Bruce for Jimenez, I would be all for it, but then we need to sign another SP.  

I guess knowing WHO Ubaldo is, I can't see why another team would want an erratic SP on their roster.

Is Wheeler supposed to be ready this year?

I would give serious consideration to trading Givens, Mancini, and Kim for Charlie Blackmon.

Why the O's should consider it

• Unlike most Rockies hitters, Blackmon's splits are not heinous on the road. Better at home for sure, but if he performed at a level somewhere between his home/road splits with the Rockies, that would be fine.
  • Everyday RF with ability to play CF, which has been his primary position with the Rockies
  • LH hitter
  • 2 years of team control

Why the Rockies should consider it

• Mancini should be a beast there
  • Mancini at 1B enables them to move Desmond to CF (they have him slated to play 1B right now)
  • Givens would give their bullpen a shot in the arm and be a potential closer down the road
  • Kim would serve as OF depth/pinch-hitter unless Mancini doesn't work out at 1B, in which case Kim would be a starter

I would hate to give up Givens, but to acquire a RF glove and bat as good as Blackmon has to hurt. I know the Rockies were asking about Gausman, but that isn't going to happen. They likely would have to really want to move Desmond off 1B to make this deal.

12 hours ago, paulcoates said:

Don't get me wrong, if the Mets would trade Bruce for Jimenez, I would be all for it, but then we need to sign another SP.  

I guess knowing WHO Ubaldo is, I can't see why another team would want an erratic SP on their roster.

Is Wheeler supposed to be ready this year?

I thought Wheeler would be ready and would replace Jimenez, of course with a little less certainty considering his past injuries. Kim would become a bench player for the Mets and Bruce/Jimenez is just a bad player swap, though I'll admit....I would prefer Bruce to Jimenez and I'm sure the Mets would too. I'm just throwing things out there, it's been a dull offseason.

16 hours ago, paulcoates said:

I dont see how Jimenez adds anything to any trade.  I wouldn't think Kim has a lot of trade value.  Mancini may be interesting to certain teams, but I doubt that package gets you Bruce and Wheeler

I said the same thing about Steve Trachsel and we still traded him. It's not impossible, even if it seems that way.

Hey, I really like mdbdotcom's  proposal to the Rockies for Charlie Blackmon.  Sounds pretty feasible.  That's about the only viable route, that I can see, to take to get somebody for this year's team.  A guy who looks like our possible CFer and lead-off man for next year and beyond, is this guy from Cleveland-Greg Allen, their No. 19 prospect.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=656185#/career/R/fielding/2016/ALL

Brach,alone, might get this guy.  Brach would seriously bolster the Indians already strong BP and we can sign either David Hernandez of Tommy Hunter to replace him.  Okay, that's my pitch for this thread.

2 hours ago, ELMERO said:

Brach,alone, might get this guy.  Brach would seriously bolster the Indians already strong BP and we can sign either David Hernandez of Tommy Hunter to replace him.  Okay, that's my pitch for this thread.

I bet Drake can replace much of that production.  I'm still in the "trade Brach for OF help" camp.  And Drake is a big reason for that; I believe in the guy.

Archived