Roch on the team's weaknesses

Frobby

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I always wonder if it's because Buck runs his same lineup out there day after day after day. I understand he's got guys that want to be in the lineup everyday, but sometimes I think guys just need a break.

I agree with you. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree with this.   It's more of a mental thing than a physical one, I think.  

Dunno.  It's never seemed plausible to me that young men exhaust themselves -- either mentally or physically -- by playing a few hours of baseball each day. Even if they don't start  or play in the game,  their routine at the ballpark is about the same isn't it?  This should be subject to statistical analysis -- in which you seem increasingly interested.  Does player performance improve after occasional rest?

21 hours ago, Since'54 said:

Dunno.  It's never seemed plausible to me that young men exhaust themselves -- either mentally or physically -- by playing a few hours of baseball each day. Even if they don't start  or play in the game,  their routine at the ballpark is about the same isn't it?  This should be subject to statistical analysis -- in which you seem increasingly interested.  Does player performance improve after occasional rest?

Actors especially dancers on tour have a similar grind to that of ballplayers. As much as 30 weeks or more at a time. Long hours flying or riding the bus can be fatiguing. They don't just play the 3 hours at night, there are another 3 hours at least in prep, mike checks, warmups, and meet and greets after. Dancers are athletes and have to work out daily to avoid injury. It's not as easy as it looks. Most shows now travel with a trainer who wraps, massages, and prescribes therapies for injuries. 

It's not just the actual game.  Many players lift and you can not understate the effect of travel.  These players are professional travellers as well.  The wall Street journal just had an article on the effect of jet lag and found significant results showing diminished production.

That physical toll can certainly lead to a lack of focus and associated mental lapses as well.

13 hours ago, Since'54 said:

Russell Carlton did a study a couple of years ago for Baseball Prospectus. His conclusion was playing 162 games was counter productive.Optimizing rest was his basic conclusion. i.e. a rest day prior to a scheduled off day was more beneficial than two non consecutive off days. Of course age,position,basic health,injury history were all factors. Nothing that would be considered out of the ordinary.  

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

It's not just the actual game.  Many players lift and you can not understate the effect of travel.  These players are professional travellers as well.  The wall Street journal just had an article on the effect of jet lag and found significant results showing diminished production.

That physical toll can certainly lead to a lack of focus and associated mental lapses as well.

I'm not clear on how an off day helps with this, or are we talking about taking off for a road trip and not traveling with the team?

22 hours ago, Number5 said:

Maybe worth mentioning that Schoop and A.Escobar were the only ones to actually start 162 games. Springer started 161 and came into another game just as a pinch-runner in the ninth inning.

On 1/26/2017 at 11:10 AM, Number5 said:

I'm not clear on how an off day helps with this, or are we talking about taking off for a road trip and not traveling with the team?

Well, I suppose days off do not actually help with travel, but I was just stating travel as an aspect of the physical stress that players deal with.

I remember being surprised by CD saying in a MASN interview (I think with Dempsey during the 53-homer season) that he would appreciate a game off now and then. I recall a season when Wieters seemed to always hit better after resting a little more than usual. Last year there were times during the late season when Schoop just seemed to be flailing away in a semi-conscious way--but then he got hot again.

Even though the Orioles W/L record in the late season has been decent, that still leaves open the possibility that they would have done even better if rested more in July/August. I remember how red-hot some of Earl's teams got during the glory years. There are some Septembers under Buck where just a few more victories--or last year, just one-- would have made a world of difference.

18 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I remember being surprised by CD saying in a MASN interview (I think with Dempsey during the 53-homer season) that he would appreciate a game off now and then. I recall a season when Wieters seemed to always hit better after resting a little more than usual. Last year there were times during the late season when Schoop just seemed to be flailing away in a semi-conscious way--but then he got hot again.

Even though the Orioles W/L record in the late season has been decent, that still leaves open the possibility that they would have done even better if rested more in July/August. I remember how red-hot some of Earl's teams got during the glory years. There are some Septembers under Buck where just a few more victories--or last year, just one-- would have made a world of difference.

September has been pretty stellar under Buck, not just decent.  93 win pace in Buck's time here.    But July and August have been inconsistent.

On 1/26/2017 at 11:10 AM, Number5 said:

That's way off base. I'm not even sure that a day or two helps much. 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

September has been pretty stellar under Buck, not just decent.  93 win pace in Buck's time here.    But July and August have been inconsistent.

It seems he does better after rosters expand for everyone.  Is that because he plays starters more regularly in September?

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes. Wearing down and actual injuries are two different things. I think some of our guys dealt with injuries that would not fix in 15 days. 

Archived