Baltimore again passed over for All Star Game

weams

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, weams said:

spiritof66, got anything to add?

I haven't paid any attention to this for many months, and I don't know what's going on with the appeal. I'll try to find out.

The only thing I saw in the thread that I disagree with is Frobby's statement that the trial court found that the Revenue Sharing Definitions Committee reasonably interpreted the parties' agreement. The reasonableness of the Committee's decision wasn't at issue since courts have to defer to arbitration decisions whether or not they're reasonable. I believe the Committee's decision was unreasonable, and really indefensible. It appears to be a transparent effort to use the agreement to screw the Orioles.

But the parties agreed to have disputes about future rights fees decided, in binding arbitration, by whoever might be on the Committee at the time of the dispute (and gave them a standard for deciding the issue that is, to be kind, not clearly stated). Once they put the decision about about future rights fees disputes in the hands of the Committee in a binding arbitration, the Orioles gave up their rights to get those fees reviewed, determined or corrected by a court.

While the Orioles are acting in a way that is within their legal rights, MLB and Mighty Manfred no doubt are plenty pissed at the Orioles and Angelos because they justifiably view the Orioles and MASN as refusing to accept the consequences of the deal that they made, with a number of unanticipated results that MLB doesn't like: the Nats are deprived of the cash they're entitled to, there is long-running uncertainty about rights fees affecting both teams -- and information about those fees has been publicly disclosed.  

A lot of "We're a victim" assumptions in this thread. There's no evidence that MLB has screwed the Orioles out of hosting the All Star game. Zero. There are eight teams that could make a better argument than the Orioles IMO. Does the commissioner hate the Cubs' owners? The commissioners office must really hate the Dodgers. :(

From a Leitch column:

Here are the current MLB stadiums that have never hosted an All-Star Game:

Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia
SunTrust Park, Atlanta (opening next year)
Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg
Yankee Stadium, New York (the new one, of course)

There are also five active stadiums that haven't hosted the game in more than 20 years:

Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles (1980)
Oakland Coliseum, Oakland (1987)
Wrigley Field, Chicago (1990)
Rogers Centre, Toronto (1991)
Camden Yards, Baltimore (1993)

Just to reference the post above, the Cubs will be going for the 2020 ASG. At that point all the stadium modifications, the Zachary Hotel,parking garage, Cubs Plaza, etc etc should all finally be done. The neighborhood is going to be barely recognizable and that's pretty exciting to me.

2 hours ago, Machado13 said:

Os will not get an all-star game until this whole MASN thing is resolved. Even then, chances are MLB will hold a grudge for a while until it benefits them to put Camden Yards in the rotation.

New ownership family. Or Nationals free from TV deal. You want it to be one way. You want it to be one way. But it's the other. 

17 minutes ago, weams said:

New ownership family. Or Nationals free from TV deal. You want it to be one way. You want it to be one way. But it's the other. 

Baltimore was never dealt fairly for the ASG, even before MASN situation. Tony pointed that out yesterday and how many years it had been, and just two games.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Something like 63 years and 2 games, how is that the other way, what am I missing here?

It's not about fair or right or anything. Other than who holds the power on the street. It's the other way. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Something like 63 years and 2 games, how is that the other way, what am I missing here?

Honestly, you wouldn't have expected them to have hosted more than 3, so it's not like they're way out of line.   One factor is whenever there are new teams or a new stadium, MLB likes to put an ASG there relatively soon.   Hence, Baltimore had an ASG 4 years after the franchise moved there, and then a year after OPACY opened.     

• 1 year later...

Archived