Dubroff: Machado Wants to Stay With the Orioles

Aristotelian

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wouldn't expect anything less out of any player.    Just the usual.   If we pay him crazy money he will stay.   Maybe

Public relations 101.    He says he wants to stay.

Sadly, you're probably right. There's always a big "IF" at the end of those statements. "I'd like to stay..." (IF)... That said, in days past a player like Manny wouldn't be legitimately interested in staying with our former trainwreck franchise. I get the sense that he legitimately would like to stay here if he had the chance. In other words, we might actually have a chance to sign him. 

If we don't have plans to do that, we NEED to trade him... and I would do it in 2017 if it comes to that, especially if we're well back by the trade deadline. 

While I agree it's the PC thing to say, I think he went a little further then he had to, which is nice.     But I think the O's probably blew their chance when they couldn't close a deal a couple of years ago.   I'd love to know what the bid and ask was then -- undoubtedly much lower than what it would take today.    Truth is, even if Manny would give the O's, say, a 10% discount, I'm not sure the O's would be comfortable paying what it would take.

o

POSTED ON SEPTEMBER 24th, 2016: 

OFFNY said:

In my rat's ass of an opinion, Machado wants to stay an Oriole, and have a chance to be another "Mr. Oriole."

I think that that is part of the reason why he let it be known that he is open to contract extension negotiations earlier this season.

So if the Orioles give him a "fair" offer (boatloads of money, but not necessarily the absolute most that he could get on the open market), I think he'll take it.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26569-vs-dbacks-924/&page=17#comment-2031409

I'm sure he does want to stay. If the money is there. Manny doesn't come across as the type of player that will give discounts. It will take atleast a 10/300m contract with an opt out. Probably after 3 years. So really, it be like a 1 year deal with all of the risk on the Orioles. I'd do an opt out, but I'd want atleast 2 years. I'd do an opt out after 4 yeara.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Why?   So you can turn the fans against him if he doesn't take it?

I assume you are asking why make it public and not why offer it. The reason I would make it public is so the fans can know a real effort was made to sign him. So future free agents know we try to take care and bring back our own.

12 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I assume you are asking why make it public and not why offer it. The reason I would make it public is so the fans can know a real effort was made to sign him. So future free agents know we try to take care and bring back our own.

I'm just not sure the Orioles are willing to get into a deal of that caliber. I'm not saying they can't, but will they. I honestly see them being in the 150-200m range. And that's not close to getting it done.

I don't think it's just PR speak when Manny says these things. I can see why he would have reason to stay-- he probably feels a certain amount of comfort with the team, has good friends on the team, and the team has been mostly successful ever since he arrived. I just think each statement probably comes with the unsaid caveat "if the money is right." If he thinks he can get a sizable amount more elsewhere, then he probably and understandably will. And that's what I assume will happen until I see a headline reading otherwise. I think we simply won't have the cash to retain him at full price, and hometown discount we'll offer him will be enough of a discount that he'll choose elsewhere. 

Archived