Some in organization want to convert Daniel Alvarez to a pitcher

Dark Helmet

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I get that. But would you prefer he had a .200 BA and a .275 OBP? I'm not saying stick him in as an everyday player. Was he going to be worse than Reimold last year? 

Reimold is simply an older player with too many injuries. Not fair to compare. Especially because Reimold was brought in to be a platoon hitter; Alvarez is not.

Joey Rickard's minor league slash line is .283/.390/.397. Alvarez' is .293/.324/.434. They are different players with different strengths, but if I had to pick one just based off his minor league stats I'd take Rickard every time.

Now Rickard's lack of power will expose him in the majors (and has, to this point) but Alvarez is getting exposed in the minors-- he has serious flaws in his batting that, to me, will never get him consideration for a job in the big leagues.

11 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Reimold is simply an older player with too many injuries. Not fair to compare. Especially because Reimold was brought in to be a platoon hitter; Alvarez is not.

Joey Rickard's minor league slash line is .283/.390/.397. Alvarez' is .293/.324/.434. They are different players with different strengths, but if I had to pick one just based off his minor league stats I'd take Rickard every time.

Now Rickard's lack of power will expose him in the majors (and has, to this point) but Alvarez is getting exposed in the minors-- he has serious flaws in his batting that, to me, will never get him consideration for a job in the big leagues.

The O's more or less voted by keeping Rickard last year while stashing Alvarez in Norfolk for a 2nd consecutive year.    He now has 1284 at bats in AAA and his slash line is .285/.317/.409 there.    Not a ton of upside there.   He might make the team in addition to Rickard if the O's want another platoon guy, but he's pretty unlikely to make the team ahead of Rickard.    

I wonder if someone from the organization was reading RZNJ's thread a couple years ago on the OH:)

I like him personally and I read that Tony thinks he has a shot to win a roster spot this ST in an interview on Scott & Jeremy.

If he doesn't, I don't think it is too late for him to learn being a pitcher, particularly a relief pitcher. It will be up to him ultimately.

I also don't think being more selective at the plate is a hard thing to learn. I am not giving up on him yet and I saw him a bunch in Norfolk, he has a GUN in Rf, wow.

And I'm not advocating Alvarez being in the majors. Just that guys who hit .290+ in the minors, usually at some point get a look at in the majors. Especially on a team that can't seem to find COF. 

At this point, I'd rather hang onto the two rule V guys over Alvarez. He is 28 now.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The O's more or less voted by keeping Rickard last year while stashing Alvarez in Norfolk for a 2nd consecutive year.    He now has 1284 at bats in AAA and his slash line is .285/.317/.409 there.    Not a ton of upside there.   He might make the team in addition to Rickard if the O's want another platoon guy, but he's pretty unlikely to make the team ahead of Rickard.    

Rickard was Rule 5 and would have gotten away if not rostered. Their situation was not apples-to-apples. I still believe Alvarez is our best bet to platoon with Smith in RF rather than have Trumbo watch balls go over his head.

6 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

IIRC, he declined the opportunity to try pitching in Sarasota this off-season because he wanted to play winter ball as an outfielder. If he isn't all for making the switch, it won't matter how many people in the organization think he should try it. Perhaps he thinks another team would give him more of an opportunity to play outfield at the major league level. 

I remember reading that too, several weeks couple months ago. Not a quote but it said he was completely against it.

I understand it isn't likely to happen but guys have managed to do stranger things. Look at Rick ankiel, who would have seen that coming?

Chris Davis came in and threw what, 2 shutout innings in Fenway? Obviously he was never going to have long term success but I'm just saying that everyday players could still have the ability to pitch.

Alvarez definitely has the arm strength, that much we do know.

Archived