Fangraphs: Jorge de la Rosa is the best remaining Free Agent for the money

FanSince88

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-biggest-free-agent-bargain-still-out-there/

He's probably going to hold out for a multi-year deal after seeing Hammel and Wood both get them.  I would hope the O's are willing to give him 1/3.  Even wouldn't be opposed to a very cheap 2 year deal.  Someone has to take Ubaldo and Miley's spots next year.  Hunter Harvey and Sedlock won't be ready, maybe Chris Lee will be ready to take one of those spots, but I don't see anyone breaking down the door for the other one.  At the very least he could probably be a better long man than T.J or Verrett, and probably would be at least as good as Gallardo would have been.  He gets lots of ground balls.  

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

De La Rosa signs a minor league deal with the Diamondbacks.

He will earn $2.25 million if he makes the team, with a possible $600K in reliever incentives and $1M in starter incentives.

We could have easily offered much better than that.  1/4 guaranteed should have been on the table.  Even iif it meant pitching in Camden Yards, I would think de la Rosa would have taken the guaranteed money.  Very frustrating to see us refuse to add depth to a position that desperately needs it.  I don't consider Ynoa, Wilson/Wright, and Verrett real "depth", they're more like "cannon fodder."  

We'd better make Fister an offer now.  

Just now, FanSince88 said:

We could have easily offered much better than that.  1/4 guaranteed should have been on the table.  Even iif it meant pitching in Camden Yards, I would think de la Rosa would have taken the guaranteed money.  Very frustrating to see us refuse to add depth to a position that desperately needs it.  I don't consider Ynoa, Wilson/Wright, and Verrett real "depth", they're more like "cannon fodder."  

We'd better make Fister an offer now.  

Makes zero sense. My main criticism of DD is ineptitude with assembling a starting staff. Our depth isn't there and this just makes too much sense. And he is a lefty! WTH DD?!?!

Just now, Rene88 said:

Makes zero sense. My main criticism of DD is ineptitude with assembling a starting staff. Our depth isn't there and this just makes too much sense. And he is a lefty! WTH DD?!?!

Yeah, I don't see the downside to offering a small amount of guaranteed money.  Sure the guy had a rough year last season, but he has to pitch in Denver, for pete's sake.  Even compared to Camden, it's still a living hell for pitchers.  Just offer him a small guaranteed 1 year deal.  And he even said he was happy to be a long man, so when Tillman returns from injury there would be minimal drama in the clubhouse.  

Our staff is precarious at best with Bundy and Tillman. DD really frustrates me. Our SP is going to sink us this year with an injury. Fister is last option left but De La Rosa much better option, plus left handed. We need more SP depth and this just made too much sense I guess.

At least our lefty Miley is a strong anchor in the rotation:) rolls eyes

3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Our staff is precarious at best with Bundy and Tillman. DD really frustrates me. Our SP is going to sink us this year. Foster is last option left but De La Rosa much better option, plus left handed.

Not really interested in Fister, unfortunately.  I think heay have lost it.  Never a hard thrower to begin with, when the excellent command goes there is nothing left.  

I think at this point we are going to have to make do with what we have.  Hope for health among our starting 5 and that whoever else we have to call on to start (Ynoa, Verrett, Wright, Wilson, Lee, Gunkel, Sedlock) will be able to not be awful when called upon.  JDLR was the last free agent that moved the needle for me.

For that price, it is definitely disappointing we couldn't get him to be an Orioles considering some of the other dumpster diving deals Dan has thrown out there.

As others have said, our real point of weakness is starting pitching and starting pitching depth.

This seemed like a no brainer at that price.

On 2/14/2017 at 9:25 AM, FanSince88 said:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-biggest-free-agent-bargain-still-out-there/

He's probably going to hold out for a multi-year deal after seeing Hammel and Wood both get them.  I would hope the O's are willing to give him 1/3.  Even wouldn't be opposed to a very cheap 2 year deal.  Someone has to take Ubaldo and Miley's spots next year.  Hunter Harvey and Sedlock won't be ready, maybe Chris Lee will be ready to take one of those spots, but I don't see anyone breaking down the door for the other one.  At the very least he could probably be a better long man than T.J or Verrett, and probably would be at least as good as Gallardo would have been.  He gets lots of ground balls.  

I think the O's are hoping that Ynoa or Wright will be ready to take Jimenez place.   Of course the O's have to figure out what to do about keeping Tillman if he is healthy.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's are hoping that Ynoa or Wright will be ready to take Jimenez place.   Of course the O's have to figure out what to do about keeping Tillman if he is healthy.

De La Rosa's velocity was way down. That said, on a non-guaranteed deal I would have liked him.  Does he get any money if he does not make the club?

Archived