Tillman is Back

backwardsk

42 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I've posted several times that I think his shoulder injury is serious and he's pitching hurt, but the more you look at his velocity the more it looks like his arm is NOT done. If "his arm was done", then I would expect to see a big drop in fastball velocity, but that has not happened...he's basically throwing as hard as ever right now. Maybe the shoulder is hindering his control? It's a confusing situation, for sure.

There was a graphic during last night's game showing Tillman's FB velocity is down by 2 mph compared to 2015 and 2016. I don't how significant that is, but his FB velocity is now below the league average, and he's not throwing as hard as ever.

If he keeps pitching like he has been so far, do the O's offer him a contract after this year?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Nevermore said:

This might seem weird.  But maybe Tillman needs some time in the pen. Asher or Aquino could replace him. 

In Roch's column today Buck seem to squash any thougts of Tillman moving to the pen it's either get better, or it will have to be addressed. No time table, and I think everybody is praying for a miracle in O's FO.

7 minutes ago, panick said:

There was a graphic during last night's game showing Tillman's FB velocity is down by 2 mph compared to 2015 and 2016. I don't how significant that is, but his FB velocity is now below the league average, and he's not throwing as hard as ever.

If he keeps pitching like he has been so far, do the O's offer him a contract after this year?

JMHO Not a chance in HE!!

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

So, is he:

1) Telling the truth, and he is truly completely healthy?

2) In denial about an injury and its effect on his pitching?

3) Really hurt but flat out lying about it to the media and fans?  (Perhaps because he doesn't want to make excuses).

Seems to me that one of the three statements MUST be true.  Which one is it?

His delivery is a work in progress. Three pitches were not even in the same time zone. Maybe not getting on top but those spiked balls were really low and away.

1 hour ago, TouchemAll said:

In Roch's column today Buck seem to squash any thougts of Tillman moving to the pen it's either get better, or it will have to be addressed. No time table, and I think everybody is praying for a miracle in O's FO.

This has been the stance of the FO since they first revealed the injury.  Unfortunately Gausman took an unforeseen gigantic step back and DD's bargain buys of Aquino, Asher, Nuno, Verret, and Ynoa, all didn't produce a miracle.  

He's obviously trying to adjust.  He's only throwing his FB 46.4% of the time.  Last year he threw it 56.8% of the time and never under 60% any other year in his career.  He's basically Gallardo and the O's version of Freddy Garcia.   

1 hour ago, panick said:

Is his fastball really down in velocity or is it that he is getting knocked out so early the reason.  Tilman has always been a guy that struggled early on and his velocity was down and then as he got loose the velocity would tick up a few mph during the start.  So it maybe just he can stay in long enough to get that tick up.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

So, is he:

1) Telling the truth, and he is truly completely healthy?

2) In denial about an injury and its effect on his pitching?

3) Really hurt but flat out lying about it to the media and fans?  (Perhaps because he doesn't want to make excuses).

Seems to me that one of the three statements MUST be true.  Which one is it?

I believe #1. Tillman is healthy.  But with a caveat.  His shoulder has healed but the injury has left his shoulder weakened. He no longer has the command that he once had . In order to pitch successfully,  he has to learn to readjust his technique to accommodate his shoulder weakness.  This will take time,  perhaps lots of it, plus some coaching . Perhaps a stint in the bullpen in long relief can give him this time.

2 hours ago, panick said:

That's not what the pitch fx data indicate.  Velocity in his recent games has been very comparative to the past. He was throwing slower when he first came off the DL so comparing this years average to past years average definitely doesn't tell the whole story. His current velocity definitely doesn't support the idea that his arm is shot which is the idea I was addressing. 

2 hours ago, TouchemAll said:

Why not? Small sample size for this year, but spending time in the pen has helped Ubaldo.  It just might help Tillman. 

20 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

That's not what the pitch fx data indicate.  Velocity in his recent games has been very comparative to the past. He was throwing slower when he first came off the DL so comparing this years average to past years average definitely doesn't tell the whole story. His current velocity definitely doesn't support the idea that his arm is shot which is the idea I was addressing. 

Tillman maxed out at 92.6 yesterday and averaged under 91.

It's not just the velocity, which is indeed down (he used to be at 92-93 regularly, and would max out at 94-95).  It's lack of command.  The other night, his FB was all over the place - often he missed the strike zone by feet rather than inches.  He clearly isn't right, and I'm not sure what can be done to get him right.

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tillman maxed out at 92.6 yesterday and averaged under 91.

Thanks for the update/correction. I still contend that the data don't suggest that his arm is "shot."  If it's an injury then it seems to be effecting control more than velocity. 

Tillman has had stretches before in his career when he couldn't find a consistent release point and his velocity and command suffered as a result.

I hope for his sake that's what's going on, but even if he figures it out, it will be too late to help the O's contend this season.  

If the problem is mechanics, isn't that something a pitching coach is supposed to help with?    

o

13 OUTS: 5 Strikeouts3 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Groundout (Including 1 Double Play), 1 Popout

CHRISTOPHER STEVETILLMAN )))))) (vs. D-RAYS, 6/25)

IP:llllllllll 4.33

H:llllllllll )(1 Home Run, 7 Singles) ll

R:lllllllllll  5

ER:lllll  4

BB:llllllll 2

SO:llllll ll5

Pitches: l)  92 )(58 )Strikes, )34 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l) 8.39

2017 WHIP: l) 2.182  )  44.00 Innings  (96 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .365  )   72 for 197

PITCHES BY INNING

13 llll(61 llStrikesll 71  llBalls)

27 llll(16 llStrikes, ll 11 llllllBalls)

14 llll(11 llStrikes, lll 31 llllBalls)

26 llll(19 llStrikes, lll 71 llllBalls)

12 llll(61 llStrikes, lll 61 llllBalls) ) *

* ) Tillman recorded 1 out before departing in the 5th inning.

o

Archived