Nationals to sign Matt Wieters

PaulFolk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's nice for him personally to (1) stay in the area, and (2) play for a very good team with a good pitching staff.    I'll be interested to see the monetary terms, since the structure looks identical to Castillo's.

Oye, I hope the numbers aren't too close. I was already expecting the Pro-Wieters crowd to post daily reminders this season if he ever starts to outperform Castillo.

Just now, FlipTheBird said:

Oye, I hope the numbers aren't too close. I was already expecting the Pro-Wieters crowd to post daily reminders this season if he ever starts to outperform Castillo.

I think Wieters is the better player, but Dan wasn't going to wait until February to have a starting catcher, and Boras wasn't going to have Wieters sign this kind of deal in December.    I can't blame Dan for moving on.

Good, I'm happy for him.  His skills as a player are what they are, but he's good enough to be a starting catcher for someone.  Didn't like seeing him hanging out there for so long without a job.

I agree with Frobby - the circumstances dictated both sides moving on, unfortunately.  I don't blame the O's.

14 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He should do good in Washington, plus it's still close to home. He will probably get cheered the first time he plays here. Now, if he was in pinstripes, a sock that was red, or became Canadian...I think that'd be a whole lot different.

I'd cheer him, and then mock Nats fans about getting our sloppy seconds. 

Archived