Nationals to sign Matt Wieters

PaulFolk

5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He should do good in Washington, plus it's still close to home. He will probably get cheered the first time he plays here. Now, if he was in pinstripes, a sock that was red, or became Canadian...I think that'd be a whole lot different.

But they have red socks.

harperhair_v37j2c0d_en6ahwc9.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the O's offered 4/52 last year prior to the QO, would he have accepted it? It seems that if the O's were willing to bite the bullet for 1/15.8, 4/52 would have seem reasonable (to me anyway). So, basically he ended up with a 4/48 or so. I think Boras overplayed his hand and cost Matt at least 5 mill. 

4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Shocked by this deal, especially when the Nats said they were never high on Wieters back in January. Looks like they were. Im happy for matt though. He deserves to be an everyday player and it looks like he'll get the chance again. 

My guess is Boras went to the owner.

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

Watching Wall to Wall Baseball. They're projecting Wieters to hit 8th, in front of the pitcher. He's not going to thrive there. OBP will go up...

I remember when Strasberg took the Orioles deep.  

Quality lineup when you have Zimmerman and Wieters in the bottom third.

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I remember when Strasberg took the Orioles deep.  

Quality lineup when you have Zimmerman and Wieters in the bottom third.

Zimm is still a quality hitter. Mostly. Wish he was still a fielder. He was a JOY to watch at 3B!

Losing Wieters in a vacuum doesn't hurt as much.  Welington Castillo is a better hitter than Wieters, especially against lefties, and threw out a higher percentage of runners last year.  Both are subpar pitch-framers.  Looking at it financially, the Orioles figure a year of Castillo to bridge the gap between Wieters and Chance Sisco is worth it.  I tend to agree, especially if we are viewing this in a vacuum. 

What I have a big problem with is that, in one off-season, we have lost Dave Wallace, Dom Chiti AND Matt Wieters.  Say what you will about our pitching staff, but without those three, do we ever see the elite bullpen that has led our success under Showalter?  Do we see potential for Gausman and Bundy, or do we see a stabalizing presence in Chris Tillman? 

Losing all three of those guys, who directly impact the pitchers on a daily basis, is a huge loss.  Losing one is OK, losing two is not so good, but we lost all three.  Now, some might say new eyes are a good thing, and I wouldn't disagree, but we are at the win-now point.  If our pitching drops off from where it was last year and doesn't move forward, those three are a big loss.

Archived