McFarland Released

wildcard

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2017 at 10:30 AM, Number5 said:

These two statements do not match up.

I'm not sure what you are expecting out of the Rule 5 Draft, but it is hard to call these results disappointing, considering the cost paid to acquire these players.

You use *1* year as the exception to every year I listed to disprove the entire argument?

What I'm expecting out of the Rule 5 Draft is not to use it unless your scouting team is bananas about somebody. But we're wasting roster spots with no roster flexibility on players that really haven't been useful enough. You're better off signing some random guy for a little bit more cash than not having the roster flexibility.

57 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

You use *1* year as the exception to every year I listed to disprove the entire argument?

What I'm expecting out of the Rule 5 Draft is not to use it unless your scouting team is bananas about somebody. But we're wasting roster spots with no roster flexibility on players that really haven't been useful enough. You're better off signing some random guy for a little bit more cash than not having the roster flexibility.

"Every single year" has only one meaning, which obviously doesn't apply.  If you meant to say something like "most years" or "four out of the last five years," perhaps that is what you should have said.  You would still have difficulty making a case that they were "clogging the roster," but at least you would not be so obviously wrong.  Exaggeration rarely helps an argument, and usually indicates that the person making the argument recognizes that his argument is weak.

As FRobby clearly pointed out, "some random guy" is rarely any better than the rule 5 guys have been, and often would be even worse.  You really have no basis for your argument.  On the other hand, Flaherty has proven to be a useful utility man, and both Rickard and Garcia still have quite a bit of potential.  Even McFarland served his purpose as a 12th member of a MLB pitching staff.  And, of course, all of them were risk-free acquisitions.  We are talking about end-of-the roster players that are acquired at virtually no cost.  If they wash out, or an emergency develops where the roster spot becomes needed, send them back to their original team.  The guys we kept didn't wash out.  Nothing to complain about here, unless we really have some need to create something to complain about.

Archived