Christian Walker Claimed by Atlanta

George Zuverink

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree.  I think Ondrusek is more likely to actually get in a game.  Since Ondrusek is terrible Walker would help us more by staying at Norfolk all season.

We don't see eye to eye on much, but this is funny.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Although I don't think this is a big issue either way, I just don't see how Walker would help this team now or in the future.   Ondrusek wasn't very good last year and he was a strange move by Duquette, but he does throw 93-95 with sink and has gotten left-handers out as well as right-handers when he's on.

Ondrusek very well may not help the team, but he is right-handed relief depth. Would I have cared if he were DFA'd instead of Walker, nope, but I'm also not concerned over letting Walker go. Walker is a AAAA right-handed 1B/DH and scary LFer with below average bat speed. Shake a minor league tree and ten Walker's will drop out and be available.

Now maybe the same thing can be said about Ondrusek, but I can see why the Orioles choose him over Walker. Basically I don't see a scenario barring a plane crash where Walker is promoted to Baltimore this year. I do however could see if Ondrusek is pitching well in Norfolk and there's a need that he could come up and help this team.

Hard to argue with this. Either are unlikely to help the Baltimore Orioles this year. Ondrusek more likely to get in a game does not mean he is better however. I think Walker could have a good career actually, so to me keeping Walker over Ondrusek made sense. I could be terribly wrong but, just think it was an odd decision. Ondrusek does not look very good either this year or last. I think DD kept him because he was the one that hand picked him from out of the blue (or one of his scouts..or a gut feeling..not sure honestly).

34 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Hard to argue with this. Either are unlikely to help the Baltimore Orioles this year. Ondrusek more likely to get in a game does not mean he is better however. I think Walker could have a good career actually, so to me keeping Walker over Ondrusek made sense. I could be terribly wrong but, just think it was an odd decision. Ondrusek does not look very good either this year or last. I think DD kept him because he was the one that hand picked him from out of the blue (or one of his scouts..or a gut feeling..not sure honestly).

Duquette certainly has his guys that he found and he loves to be able to say he found someone off a scrap heap somewhere. Saying that, he does have some ability and even if he's not helping the team out of the gate, there's a chance he could help the team this season sometimes. As for Walker, the Orioles have Davis, Trumbo and Mancini ahead of him for first base and David Washington might be ahead of him as well. Let's not forget the team signed Chris Johnson as well. He just didn't bring enough of anything to justify him sticking around.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Duquette certainly has his guys that he found and he loves to be able to say he found someone off a scrap heap somewhere. Saying that, he does have some ability and even if he's not helping the team out of the gate, there's a chance he could help the team this season sometimes. As for Walker, the Orioles have Davis, Trumbo and Mancini ahead of him for first base and David Washington might be ahead of him as well. Let's not forget the team signed Chris Johnson as well. He just didn't bring enough of anything to justify him sticking around.

He had a 5.36 FIP with the O's last year.  He basically got kicked off his NPB team.  His last good year in the majors by ERA+ was 2012.  His FIP has never been lower than 3.91 in the majors, his ERA+ has never been higher than 123.

He's 32.

I'm not seeing someone that deserves a spot on the 40 man.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He had a 5.36 FIP with the O's last year.  He basically got kicked off his NPB team.  His last good year in the majors by ERA+ was 2012.  His FIP has never been lower than 3.91 in the majors, his ERA+ has never been higher than 123.

He's 32.

I'm not seeing someone that deserves a spot on the 40 man.

Roger all of that, and like I said, I'm not arguing that he is some kind of piece. He could have been DFA'd or not resigned and I would have been fine with that. Honestly, I was surprised by his re-signing and placement on the 40-man.

But, what I am saying is that he has some value because of his ability to get ground balls and could fill in for a bit if needed. It's not like you look at his stuff and see 89-91 and a slider. He throws 93-95 with some ability to get ground balls. I'll take a chance that a guy like that catches on fire and can give me some innings possibly then a AAAA 1B/DH who has five guys ahead of him on my 1B depth chart at the moment.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Didn't Walker end up at semi-pro ball for a spell, after the last time the Orioles released him?

His chances are playing in the majors are very good.

That was first round draft pick, Brandon Snyder. 

Archived