Nationals Interested in Angel Pagan (Breaking Hearts)

Rene88

He must not be getting any guaranteed money and is holding out for some -- otherwise, you'd think he'd have signed by now.  I get why he would want a guaranteed deal after seeing Rajai Davis sign for a year and 6 mil earlier this winter (albeit in Oakland where they may have to pay a little more for hitters in their pitchers park).  Still, at this late date, that ship may have already sailed unless or until someone significant goes down with injury.  

I'd of course offer him a minor league contract in a heartbeat.  But he would probably face less competition elsewhere.  Even with Bourn hurt, with Pagan added to the mix on a minors deal we'd have four guys battling it out for two or maybe even just one (if we keep Mancini) "4th/5th outfielder" roster spots -- Gentry, Rickard, Pagan, and Tavarez.  Pagan would be the oldest and Gentry and Rickard would be presumably better against lefties than him, and possibly even being better defenders than Pagan is at this stage of his career (they'd certainly be better in center than him, so he'd have to prove that he is a much better COF defender than Gentry or Rickard).  I've gotta think that even on a minor league deal there's much better plays for him than Baltimore.  

58 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He's been a 1 WAR player for a few seasons. His batting splits are not bad and he could play against both. 

Not much to see here

Which would save a roster spot; whereas Bourn only helps against righties. Also, maybe Pagan would bring some veteran presence that knows how to win in the post season. 

Archived