Pedro back. (Will he opt out?)

oriolesacox

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But at the same time weren't you one of the people that said we should have him at DH and not give Trumbo money?  I may be wrong.  

I wanted Carter but sure I would have taken Pedro at 1/5 over Trumbo at 3/37.5.

And if you can convince another team to take over Trumbo's contract I won't have an issue with Pedro joining the team as platoon DH.  ;)

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wanted Carter but sure I would have taken Pedro at 1/5 over Trumbo at 3/37.5.

And if you can convince another team to take over Trumbo's contract I won't have an issue with Pedro joining the team as platoon DH.  ;)

You just can't have things both ways.  A Pedro/Carter platoon would have been terrible so far.  Carter has a .186 avg so far and Pedro just started heating up in AAA.  

Trumbo has a .932 OPS the last 28 days.  He doesn't have significant holes in his swing like Davis.  He's been our most consistent player that last 1.3 years.  

We can actually come out big winners in this situation.  Pedro is a notorious slow starter.  We let him get that out of the way in AAA.  At the same time we found that Mancini is having solid mlb AB's, and that Kim was probably a fluke last year.  

If DD has brass stones he'll DFA Kim and bring up Pedro.  It's going out on a limb but Pedro would contribute more than Kim the rest of the way.  

I can't have what both ways?

What am I trying to have both ways?

I wanted a DH that cost less in years and dollars than Trumbo.

I don't want Trumbo in the field.

What is confusing about this?

As for any value that Pedro adds, just keep in mind the cost will be Trumbo in the field so you have to subtract for that.

As for Kim, it is hard to add value when the manager won't even let you pinch hit for Hardy in the ninth.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I love how excited folks get over a hot streak in the minors.  Don't bother looking at the career numbers that prevented him from getting a ML job, just focus on what he's been doing at Norfolk the last couple of weeks. 

I don't see how this comment really applies to Alvarez.    He's hit at the major league level, including  last year for us, and his track record (including last year) is that he's a slow starter who heats up as the year progresses.    So to me, his hot streak is significant in that it indicates he's rounding into his usual summer form.

Now, with that said, I'm not at all sure that his skill set fits with the other personnel on this team.     He has no defensive value and his presence would force us to play Trumbo in the OF much more than he has so far.    There's a reason why we moved in a different direction last winter, and I don't think anything's really changed, except that our offense had a two week slump and people are panicking looking for solutions.   

Every team, including the Orioles, looked at his skill set and decided it wasn't worth a ML contract.

I don't see how that isn't relevant and how a hot streak at Norfolk changes the math on someone with 3K PA.  Do you think his career numbers in April is what kept him from finding a ML job?  The only way he got a minor league job was by agreeing to play in the outfield.

I understand the offense is struggling and folks are grasping at straws, but weakening an already poor outfield defense by putting Trumbo out there isn't likely to be what turns the season around.  (Yes I know Frobby just said as much but I think it bears repeating)

48 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You just can't have things both ways.  A Pedro/Carter platoon would have been terrible so far.  Carter has a .186 avg so far and Pedro just started heating up in AAA.  

Trumbo has a .932 OPS the last 28 days.  He doesn't have significant holes in his swing like Davis.  He's been our most consistent player that last 1.3 years.  

We can actually come out big winners in this situation.  Pedro is a notorious slow starter.  We let him get that out of the way in AAA.  At the same time we found that Mancini is having solid mlb AB's, and that Kim was probably a fluke last year.  

If DD has brass stones he'll DFA Kim and bring up Pedro.  It's going out on a limb but Pedro would contribute more than Kim the rest of the way.  

I don't think Kim's last year was a fluke.   Mancini just outplayed him this year and took his at bats.

No place on the team for him. We can't even find a way to play the guy who led the team in BA and OBP last season and who is not even as much of a liability in the field.

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't see how this comment really applies to Alvarez.    He's hit at the major league level, including  last year for us, and his track record (including last year) is that he's a slow starter who heats up as the year progresses.    So to me, his hot streak is significant in that it indicates he's rounding into his usual summer form.

Now, with that said, I'm not at all sure that his skill set fits with the other personnel on this team.     He has no defensive value and his presence would force us to play Trumbo in the OF much more than he has so far.    There's a reason why we moved in a different direction last winter, and I don't think anything's really changed, except that our offense had a two week slump and people are panicking looking for solutions.   

Fixing a problem is not panicking.  The O's are 10th in runs scored in the AL.  They haven't been much better than 7th all year.  The need some offensive  solutions.   Pedro may be one of them.

The O's tried to improve the OF defense.  Gentry did not hit.  Rickard is not hitting very well either.   If Pedro helps them score runs I think we have to consider it an upgrade.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Fixing a problem is not panicking.  The O's are 10th in runs scored in the AL.  They haven't been much better than 7th all year.  The need some offensive  solutions.   Pedro may be one of them.

Fixing a problem is not panicking.  The O's outfield defense is among the worst in the AL.  They need some defensive solutions.  Pedro would exacerbate the problem.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Fixing a problem is not panicking.  The O's outfield defense is among the worst in the AL.  They need some defensive solutions.  Pedro would exacerbate the problem.

I agree with that.   But weighing the OF defensive problems vs the offense's problems I think I would take the improved offense  It can cover a lot of other problems.   Pedro replacing Kim seems like an overall upgrade to the team to me. 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree with that.   But weighing the OF defensive problems vs the offense's problems I think I would take the improved offense  It can cover a lot of other problems.   Pedro replacing Kim seems like an overall upgrade to the team to me. 

I think it's a spinning wheels type of move that will probably cost us a second round draft pick.

On May 31, 2017 at 7:38 AM, wildcard said:

I'd rather see Pedro at DH and Trumbo in right like last year when the O's won 89

Why do you believe that Pedro DH / Trumbo RF is better than Trumbo DH / Smith RF? You have to include defense as a major component of the equation and it's great not to have to worry anymore about every catchable flyball (both long and short) and line drive landing outside of Trumbo's three-step reach. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hey it got them to .500 in 2015!  Some folks count that as an accomplishment of note.

We never know how a season will turn out.  2012 and 2014 were big surprises.   There is enough talent on this team to go deep in the playoffs if things break right.  Looks to me like this is the last season of the team as currently constructed.   The players have to know that and the ones that want to win together may show some urgency to win now.   

Or not.

Archived