Ongoing Lineup Thread, 2017

OFFNY

18 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

BALTIMORE  O RIOLES ))))))  ))))

K.J. Gausman - RHP (1-3, 7.55 ERA) ) *

* Leads the Major Leagues in Games Started (7), and the American League in Earned Runs Ceded (26)

OPPOSING PITCHER

Giovany Aramis Gonzalez - LHP (3-0, 1.64 ERA) ) *

* Leads the National League in ERA (1.64), and ERA+ (256)

o

o

Looking at the numbers of this pitching match-up, one might have presumed that these two respective pitchers would have had the opposite outcome in last night's outing.

Not so (and thank goodness, as far as Oriole fans are concerned.)

o

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

BALTIMORE  O RIOLES )))))) (vs. NATIONALS, 5/09) ))))

Seth Smith - RF

Adam Jones - CF

Manny Machado - 3B

Chris Davis - 1B

Mark Trumbo - DH

Trey Mancini - LF

Jonathan Schoop - 2B

James Jerry Hardy - SS

Caleb Martin Joseph - C

Ubaldo Jimenez Garcia - RHP (1-1, 6.58 ERA)

OPPOSING PITCHER

Maxwell M. Scherzer - RHP (4-2, 2.66 ERA) ) *

* Leads the National League Hits Ceded Per 9 Innings (5.754)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

2 minutes ago, larrytt said:

Okay, I'll be the first to ask. Why is lefty Seth Smith leading off and in RF instead of righty Joey Rickard, against the lefty Max Scherzer? Smith is very good against righties but not good against lefties. It's not because of his head-to-head record - Smith lifetime is 3 for 16 against Scherzer, with 3 singles and a walk. (Rickard has never faced him.) It's not because Smith is having a breakout year against lefties - he's had one AB against a lefty this year (0 for 1), while Rickard, in 27 PA, is hitting .308, OBP .333, SLG .500, OPS .833. They've been a very successful platoon so far, with Smith against righties, Rickard against lefties. Is Rickard injured? Or am I missing something?

I heard Scherzer is going to attempt throwing with his right hand tonight.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yep, like he has for the past 1000 or more innings

He was listed as LHP when I did my note, but it's been corrected. I don't know the National League pitchers very well, including the Nationals. I deleted my note. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

I think if you are going to platoon, then platoon.   If Kim can't get playing time in this situation, then why is  he on the team at all?  

There's a simple reason why Mancini is starting and Kim is not. Mancini has a 1.025 OPS (71 PA), including 1.548 (you read that right) against righties (26 PA). He's clouting the ball right now, so why would you bench him? Kim, on the other hand, has an OPS of .624 (49 PA). When one is hot and the other is cold, you play the one who is hot. The whole purpose of platooning is to maximize the hitting, and you don't do that by playing, against a righty pitcher, a lefty who is not hitting lefties, while benching a righty who is hot against righties. Kim will get his chance, but as long as Mancini is clouting the ball, keep him in the lineup. Until and unless he proves otherwise, he's now an everyday starter. He may be this year's breakthrough hitter - we'll see. 

1 minute ago, larrytt said:

There's a simple reason why Mancini is starting and Kim is not. Mancini has a 1.025 OPS (71 PA), including 1.548 (you read that right) against righties (26 PA). He's clouting the ball right now, so why would you bench him? Kim, on the other hand, has an OPS of .624 (49 PA). When one is hot and the other is cold, you play the one who is hot. The whole purpose of platooning is to maximize the hitting, and you don't do that by playing, against a righty pitcher, a lefty who is not hitting lefties, while benching a righty who is hot against righties. Kim will get his chance, but as long as Mancini is clouting the ball, keep him in the lineup. Until and unless he proves otherwise, he's now an everyday starter. He may be this year's breakthrough hitter - we'll see. 

This.  I want Kim to play but you need to ride the hot hand.  And Mancini is destroying RHP, even if it is a small sample size. 

4 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I'd rather they sit one of Davis or Trumbo and let Mancini play 1B/DH, so we can get Kim's bat in the line up RHP.

Against Scherzer, Davis has an OPS of .885 in 26 PA (.333/.385/.500). Trumbo is 1 for 11 with a single, and an OPS of .258. I wouldn't mind sitting Trumbo out tonight, but not too often - 47 HR last year. 

6 minutes ago, larrytt said:

Against Scherzer, Davis has an OPS of .885 in 26 PA (.333/.385/.500). Trumbo is 1 for 11 with a single, and an OPS of .258. I wouldn't mind sitting Trumbo out tonight, but not too often - 47 HR last year. 

I think you"ll find Kim will hit RHP better than Trumbo over time.

2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I'd rather they sit one of Davis or Trumbo and let Mancini play 1B/DH, so we can get Kim's bat in the line up RHP.

Me too, but I think Buck thinks Trumbo is starting to rumble ever so slowly and he doesn't want to disrupt that. And he thinks Davis is the lynch pin for the suddenly shaky infield defense, as odd as that sounds.

o

BALTIMORE  O RIOLES )))))) (vs. NATIONALS, 5/10) ))))

Seth Smith - LF

Adam Jones - CF

Manny Machado - 3B

Chris Davis - 1B

Mark Trumbo - RF

Jonathan Schoop - 2B

James Jerry Hardy - SS

Caleb Martin Joseph - C

Wade Allen Miley - LHP (1-1, 2.27 ERA)

OPPOSING PITCHER

Stephen James Strasburg - RHP (3-1, 2.66 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

Archived