The Defense Thread, 2017

Frobby

7 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'm glad you said that - since I was listening on the radio at the time, and the guys on the radio didn't mention that Trumbo miss-played it.  I think the play-by-play guy was a fill-in from one of the O's minor league teams, and Ben McDonald was doing color.  I was wondering, because - generally speaking - a RFer playing against a power-hitter shouldn't let a ball land behind him unless it's a real line-drive.  Trumbo should be strictly a DH/1Bman.  I like Ben a lot, but he's got to chirp up in that situation.   

I can't imagine how a radio announcer could have failed to point out Trumbo's blundering around on that play.    It may have been the worst of Ttumbo's many misadventures near the wall in the last two years.   

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 7/24)

Manny Machado made two incredible plays tonight, one of which was an inning-ending double play in the 1st inning.

Trey Mancini made a great stretch at 1st base to get the out on the latter Machado play in the 9th inning.

Also ........ an additional inning-ending double play (also started by Machado) with runners on 1st and 3rd and only one out enabled Kevin Gausman to hang onto his 1-0 lead in the 5th inning.

o

11 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 7/24)

Manny Machado made two incredible plays tonight, one of which was an inning-ending double play in the 1st inning.

Trey Mancini made a great stretch at 1st base to get the out on the latter Machado play in the 9th inning.

Also ........ an additional inning-ending double play (also started by Machado) with runners on 1st and 3rd and only one out enabled Kevin Gausman to hang onto his 1-0 lead in the 5th inning.

o

I was gonna say - Gausman did a real fine job tonight, but Manny was the show.  I don't know if anyone else starts those DP's - one with his range and one with his arm.  And he made a couple other outstanding plays that just weren't as spectacular.  And he had a bases loaded single.  

Classic D by Manny. The double plays, a couple of excellent charging chopper plays. This video has a few of them.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/orioles-vs-rays/2017/07/24/491578#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=491578

(Not shown in the video: another started DP, another charging chopper, and a nice look-back with a runner on third with a perfectly timed throw to first)

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Classic D by Manny. The double plays, a couple of excellent charging chopper plays. This video has a few of them.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/orioles-vs-rays/2017/07/24/491578#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=491578

(Not shown in the video: another started DP, another charging chopper, and a nice look-back with a runner on third with a perfectly timed throw to first)

Here are the highlights of four plays Manny made last night, including a difficult catch of a pop-up in the Rays bullpen area down the LF line: http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/8879234/v1646896183

Very good defensive game tonight:

- Adam caught a ball over the wall and kept the ice cream cone in his glove when it hit the top of the fence.   

- Davis started a nice 3-6-1 DP, with Gausman doing a great job of covering 1B on the return throw. 

- Manny made yet another amazing DP catching a hard ground smash down the line and throwing a strike to Schoop falling away into foul territory and Schoop made a nice turn.   Only one 3B in baseball makes that play, folks.     

- Tejada went 2-3 steps onto the OF grass to get a ball in the hole, and threw to Davis who scooped a hop that would have handcuffed many 1B.

- Manny short-hopped a Beltre chopper and started another DP in the 9th.    

- On the negative side, Manny and Tejada, who were in a shift, muscommunicated on a short bloop just over the skin of the infield near 2B that fell for a hit, and Gausman lost his chance for a complete game.

July 30

Welington Castillo let a strike three on Adrian Beltre get past him in the 8th and Beltre later scored on a 2-run homer to turn a laugher into a semi-tense game.   Really lousy play by Castillo.   

o

(vs. ROYALS, 8/01)

In the very first inning, Manny Machado turned what appeared to be a swinging bunt single into a groundout.

Subsequently, Dylan Bundy finished the inning by throwing only 9 pitches, instead of having to deal with a potential early rally by the Royals.

Machado has been extremely impressive on defense overall, as of late.

o

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That was a hell of a triple play.   Manny was pretty far from the 3B bag when he got that ball, so his momentum was headed away from 2B when he made that throw, but he fired a rocket to Schoop who fired an equal rocket to Davis.  Man those two are fun to watch.   

That was an actual MLB produced bit there.  Something they are experimenting with.

In last night's loss to the A's, Schoop threw a laser beam to Beckham to start a nice double play (bottom of the 6th). In the 8th, with the score 4-4 runners on 2nd and 3rd and one out, Davis failed to catch a pop up. Just watched the replay again he should have made that catch. The one time I'll have to respectfully disagree with Palmer as he thought if the catch was made the runner would have tagged from third and scored. I don't think he would have tagged at all. I'll agree however Schoop could have taken charge on the play to record the out. 

Archived