Trading Bedard

MAKEAMOVE

Yea but the key part you are leaving out is that they are saying they don't want to trade the top prospects for rental players.

Bedard is a unique case.

Cheap, relatively young, top 10 starter who is under a team's control for 2.5 years.

That changes everything.

No, I'm not leaving out anything, that's exactly what has been said, nothing about the rental player part. Teams value major league ready top prospects more now.

Bedard is very valuable, I'm not debating that, but you have to factor everything into the equation.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, what was Eric Bedard's classic a**hole quote to the media earlier this year. I was trying to wreck my brain figuring it out and I couldn't put a finger on it. It was something like "7 innings, 3 hits and 1 run..blank blank?...next question" Someone fill me in please.

I agree with Dave here. Not sure if i agree about the percentages but whatever, that is nothign to even begin to quibble about.

The bottom line is Bedard is pitching the best ball of his career and is arguably among the top 3 lefty starters in the game. He is doing all of this in the AL as well, which makes it even more impressive.

And, on top of that, he is doing it with a high BABIP and unlucky HR rate.

However, to think we should hold onto him and that his value will INCREASE is a bit much. It is certainly possible but his value likely won't be as high if, for no other reason, he will be under a team's control for one less year.

However, let's not fool ourselves into thinking he still won't have very good trade value next year, assuming he is pitching at a high level.

BTW, i don't think the Dodgers offer i mentioned gets brushed away so quickly. By all indications, the Dodgers are playing Loney more to showcase him. Now, obviously if he is tearing it up and Nomar is playing a steafy third base, that may change.

Losing Loney, Kemp and Kershaw barely puts a dent into the Dodgers and it gives them a #1. I am not saying that would do it for sure but i think to dismiss it is wrong.

What indications are those? It makes sense for them to play Loney at first because he might be there best hitter right now. Look at their lineup, they can really use him in the middle of it. Their first 3 hitters have 3 hr's combined! And it's not like they're really making up for it with their OBP.

Plus the Dodgers are 5th in baseball in ERA, 22nd in runs, so I don't think it makes much sense for them to trade a guy who may be the best hitter along with another starting position player who has been hitting very well in order to upgrade their pitching staff.

Read and/or heard about it in a few different places but that was also a few weeks ago. With him playing well, that may change.

I hadn't heard that, but if that was the case, I think it's safe to say it has changed. And if you refer to my last post, it doesn't make much sense for the Dodgers to trade away two of their better hitters for pitching help.

With Schmidt out and Wolf lagging and Kuo demoted, they do need pitching ( the stats may mislead because their home field is a pronounced pitcher's park).

I have also seen rumblings that Loney was being showcased.

With Schmidt out and Wolf lagging and Kuo demoted, they do need pitching ( the stats may mislead because their home field is a pronounced pitcher's park).

I have also seen rumblings that Loney was being showcased.

They don't need pitching, they still have a very solid pitching staff. And Schmidt was terrible when he was pitching, so not that big of a loss. Hitting is clearly more of an issue for them, so it wouldn't make sense to trade from a weakness to improve their strength. I'm not saying they wouldn't want Bedard, but it wouldn't make sense to trade Loney and Kemp to get him. Maybe LaRoche, Kershaw, and someone else.

the stats may mislead because their home field is a pronounced pitcher's park

SNLVAR(Lineup adjusted above replacement level instead of average)

1. 2007 OAK AL 15.4

2. 2007 SDN NL 13.7

3. 2007 NYN NL 13.0

4. 2007 BAL AL 12.1

5. 2007 BOS AL 10.9

6. 2007 ANA AL 10.8

7. 2007 CHA AL 10.6

8. 2007 SFN NL 10.5

9. 2007 LAN NL 10.4

10. 2007 ARI NL 9.9

11. 2007 CHN NL 9.7

12. 2007 DET AL 9.5