New 'What If?' on Teixeira

OrioleLochRaven

At some point, you have to take a risk. It can turn out good (Rafael Palmeiro) or bad (Albert Belle), but you have to do it eventually.

I would much rather take that chance on someone that brings as much as Teixeira then someone else who may be cheaper but isn't the same player.

Everything has to be looked at from a risk/reward perspective. If the market is weaker than I expect for him signing him would be a risk worth taking IMO. In general though I think paying a boat load more for a particular player than his production warrants equates to a risk to be avoided. But I do understand that different folks have different risk thresholds. I see it everyday when I'm in Vegas.

I don't either, but I would bet most teams that do that you could look at and find flaws with how they built their team.

As an example, when the Rangers signed Rodriguez, their first year they didn't win because their best pitcher was Doug Davis. So they went out and signed Chan Ho Park, which put $29 million into two players in 2002, and $35 million in 2003, when one wasn't any good.

So, the problem there wasn't the one big signing, it was the panic signing that came later.

The flaw was blowing too much of their resources on one player. Replace Chan Ho with a very good pitcher and they still weren't going to win... They didn't have the quality youth to supplement their roster partly because they were giving away draft picks to sign FAs and they didn't have the payroll resources to acquire enough talent to plug their other holes with as much resources they had tied up in < 10% of their roster.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everything has to be looked at from a risk/reward perspective. If the market is weaker than I expect for him signing him would be a risk worth taking IMO. In general though I think paying a boat load more for a particular player than his production warrants equates to a risk to be avoided. But I do understand that different folks have different risk thresholds. I see it everyday when I'm in Vegas.

There's his production. There is also the hometown thing, and the legitimacy for the team thing, and the fills a gaping hole with no remotely ready answer thing...

The flaw was blowing too much of their resources on one player. Replace Chan Ho with a very good pitcher and they still weren't going to win... They didn't have the quality youth to supplement their roster partly because they were giving away draft picks to sign FAs and they didn't have the payroll resources to acquire enough talent to plug their other holes with as much resources they had tied up in < 10% of their roster.

Same thing though: poor roster management that had little to do with signing Rodriguez.

Here's a "what if" on Teixeira - he is not coming.

I spoke with a friend of his from high school & the guy brought it up without being pressed on the issue. My guy had dinner with him during the Braves-Nats series and Teix said himself' date=' he has no plans to come here. In fact, the conversation was brought up with Glavine, Glavine's wife, another Brave (can't remember) and his wife, my boy & Teix. I think Glavine posed the question.

Teix said "both New York teams need a 1B and I want a bidding war. The only other place that will pay & I want to play there, is LAA. I don't know why but, it just seems nice there (speaking of LAA)." The O's were brought up & he made it seem like it wasn't even a thought at all.

This was in very early May.

Food for thought.[/quote']

I like the quotes? Like Tex said this word for word. I have said it many times, we MAY sign him, we MAY not, but these people who keep coming on here preaching gospel like they KNOW is beyond absurd!

Tex may be a necessity, but the rest of our infield is absolutely awful. I'd much rather get someone through the draft, than bandaid our way and trick ourself into thinking we're contenders (we're not even close to being so).

Can someone, ANYONE, please explain how signing an All-Star firstbaseman to a 6 to 7 year deal is a "band-aid?" :cussing:

There is a good chance that the Orioles finish last in the AL East this year.

Teixeira has already turn down an 8 year, 140 million dollar contract from the Rangers that included one year of arbitration. That contract would have paid him 17.5 million dollars per year. He will likely get more than that in the free agent market after this season.

Since the Mets and Yankees both want Tex, and Roy has said that even Boston is interested, it is very likely that Tex will get an eight year deal at close to 20 million per year or even beyond. Even if Tex made the unlikely decision to sign with a team like the Orioles in the bottom half of the league, one can argue it is not even prudent for the Orioles to offer so much to one player at this stage of the Orioles rebuilding efforts.

I am pretty certain that McPhail is making future plans for the Orioles that don't rely on signing Tex.

Archived