Trade Kim and replace him with Mancini

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Mancini had a .911 OPS against RHP's in AA in 2015 and a .767 OPS against them last year in AAA.    There is nothing YET to suggest that he's weak against RHP's.    And in his very short ML career so far he has 2 home runs in 10 AB's against RHP.     I think we'll eventually find what weaknesses Mancini has but you only find that out by playing him everyday.

I like Mancini.  I also like Kim.  Kim is good against RHP.  I don't see a need to get rid of him in order to experiment with Mancini at this point.  Perhaps next season he is an every day player.  I have no problem with him occasionally playing for Kim or Smith.  If they all get ~350 PA, that would be perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

I like Mancini.  I also like Kim.  Kim is good against RHP.  I don't see a need to get rid of him in order to experiment with Mancini at this point.  Perhaps next season he is an every day player.  I have no problem with him occasionally playing for Kim or Smith.  If they all get ~350 PA, that would be perfect as far as I'm concerned.

That's pretty much how I feel. In a perfect world Mancini would have around 15 HR's near the trade deadline then things get interesting.

4 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I agree. Defense is great but at some point you have to hit a little. He hasn't played much but he needs to step it up.

You can't make a decision to jettison a valuable asset based on 25 PA, no matter how many HR he hits the next two days. We don't lose Joey if we send him down, so better to do that than DFA Gentry the best defensive OF on the club.

3 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Then send down Joey. I have no problem with that at all. I'm just saying Gentry needs to hit at some point. Right now there isn't really a way to get him more consistent at bats.

Some one needs to go in two days. It's dumb if it's Gentry. I'm betting it's Mancini baring an injury

4 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Some one needs to go in two days. It's dumb if it's Gentry. I'm betting it's Mancini baring an injury

I'd send a reliever down (Wilson, Nuno, or Drake -if he has passed through waivers.  Has that been confirmed or denied?).  Then send Asher? down, and bring up another pen arm on Sunday.

27 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Then send down Joey. I have no problem with that at all. I'm just saying Gentry needs to hit at some point. Right now there isn't really a way to get him more consistent at bats.

Why would you think Gentry is here to hit?  He's a poor hitter.  His career AAA OPS is .677.  In his last 300-some-odd PA in the majors over three years it's under .600.  If he's not here exclusively for his glove and legs someone has made a mistake.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Why would you think Gentry is here to hit?  He's a poor hitter.  His career AAA OPS is .677.  In his last 300-some-odd PA in the majors over three years it's under .600.  If he's not here exclusively for his glove and legs someone has made a mistake.

His career OBP v RHP is pretty good as well. If healthy he wouldn't kill us as a RH platoon.

On 4/12/2017 at 8:38 PM, Aristotelian said:

Or trade Mancini when his value is high. Or trade Seth Smith. All three are good (not great) players. Lots of ways to play it. Good problem to have.

If one believes Mancini can become a respectable defensive outfielder, then we need to keep him.    Five more years of team control, including two more years at dirt cheap prices and then three years at a discount.    

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If one believes Mancini can become a respectable defensive outfielder, then we need to keep him.    Five more years of team control, including two more years at dirt cheap prices and then three years at a discount.    

I would not trade Mancini for a bag of balls, by any means. I would trade Mancini for an MLB ready short stop to replace JJ. He looks good but he is not untradeable, and let's face it, he is blocked by Davis and Trumbo which are the positions he is best suited for. If another team recognizes his value, we have plenty of other needs. 

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would not trade Mancini for a bag of balls, by any means. I would trade Mancini for an MLB ready short stop to replace JJ. He looks good but he is not untradeable, and let's face it, he is blocked by Davis and Trumbo which are the positions he is best suited for. If another team recognizes his value, we have plenty of other needs. 

Yes, I agree with this.   In fact, I advocated shopping him this winter after we signed Trumbo.    Of course, the idea that he might become a respectable outfielder had never entered my mind (and it's still unknown if he can become one).     

Archived