Mancini, Joseph, Rickard

wildcard

The O's have been amazing for the first three weeks.  The pitching is out achieving expectations.  The hitting is not.   Here is a few things I would like to see the O's do.

1) Mancini needs to be in the lineup every day for a while.   See is that high OPS is something can keep at a respectable level.   I'd like to see him a DH or LF everyday until he proves he does not deserve it.   Give Trumbo and Kim some days off.

2) Caleb has a tough job and for the most part he is doing great at it. He plays about twice a week.  Its hard to keep a bat going with 18 at bats over three weeks.  80% of his job is to call a good game, play good defense and control the running game.  He is doing all those thing well and is helping Miley get off to a great start.  I have seen Caleb hit well with more playing time.   So lets help the guy out.   Austin Wynns and Audry Perez are both playing well at AA.  They are both reportedly good defensive catchers.   So lets see a rotation here.   Option Caleb to AA to get his bat started.   Call up one of the other catchers.  When Caleb starts hitting bring him back.  

3) I really don't want to see Rickard on the O's roster until he gets his bat going.  I don't see how that helps anyone.   He ended ST in a slump.  Carried it into the season and then got hurt.  Give the guy a chance to hit well in the minors before asking him to heat up in the majors.

JMO 

Carried his slump into the season? After ten at bats?

Rickard is one of the 25 best players and Joseph to Bowie is not realistic. 

Mancini could be exposed playing everyday. I like him as a platoon guy for now. Agree with Trumbo seeing some more off days though . Kim needs to be in the lineup

against righties unless we are playing in a spacious park.

I don't mind seeing Mancini get some ABs against righties, but Kim needs to be in the lineup to get going.  Trumbo and Davis could get a day off here and there, but that's not going to provide a substantial opportunity.

I want Joseph catching Miley every start and day games after night games.  I don't believe that sending him down to AA to play everyday only to have him sit mostly when he comes back up provides much benefit.

I agree about Rickard.  No need to rush to bring him back considering that we're having trouble finding playing time as is. Plus Santander.

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Carried his slump into the season? After ten at bats?

Rickard is one of the 25 best players and Joseph to Bowie is not realistic. 

Mancini could be exposed playing everyday. I like him as a platoon guy for now. Agree with Trumbo seeing some more off days though . Kim needs to be in the lineup

against righties unless we are playing in a spacious park.

This is wildcard. That sample size is large enough for him to hop right off his own "Rickard should play everyday" bandwagon and right onto to his next mission.

This mentality is great for message board banter though. I hope he never changes.

5 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

This is wildcard. That sample size is large enough for him to hop right off his own "Rickard should play everyday" bandwagon and right onto to his next mission.

This mentality is great for message board banter though. I hope he never changes.

I always said Rickard should play everyday if he earns it.   He is still working on that.  His task got harder when the O's moved Mancini to the outfield  and put Gentry on the major league roster.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Looking at the schedule Mancini is probably going to play vs Sabathia, Montgomery, Sale, Pomeranz and Wright in the next 8 games.

That's plenty of playing time for Mancini.  I am worried that Kim was a little lucky last year and that he may only be a .750 OPS type vs RHP.  I'd like to see Schoop bat directly behind Kim and let's at least try and pair up Schoop's SLG% with Kim's OBP%.  

We're just going to have to accept that if Joseph can help Miley pitch at this level then we don't need his offense.  Other guys in the lineup have to step up.  

Rickard could help out vs. LHP.  Gentry would probably go unclaimed if DFA'd.  I think we'll delay that decision a bit unless Rickard is mashing in his rehab and Gentry and the offense continues to struggle.  

Really we've been getting good production from the COF.  Joseph is what he is.  I guess all we have to do is debate these players because they can be moved around, because we certainly can't change what the main problem has been with the offense.  Machado and Trumbo.  They're getting up in all the big situations and OPSing .650 and .527.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That's plenty of playing time for Mancini.  I am worried that Kim was a little lucky last year and that he may only be a .750 OPS type vs RHP.  I'd like to see Schoop bat directly behind Kim and let's at least try and pair up Schoop's SLG% with Kim's OBP%.  

We're just going to have to accept that if Joseph can help Miley pitch at this level then we don't need his offense.  Other guys in the lineup have to step up.  

Rickard could help out vs. LHP.  Gentry would probably go unclaimed if DFA'd.  I think we'll delay that decision a bit unless Rickard is mashing in his rehab and Gentry and the offense continues to struggle.  

Really we've been getting good production from the COF.  Joseph is what he is.  I guess all we have to do is debate these players because they can be moved around, because we certainly can't change what the main problem has been with the offense.  Machado and Trumbo.  They're getting up in all the big situations and OPSing .650 and .527.  

Maybe Gentry would make it through, but I think the Pirates would grab him in their current situation.

6 minutes ago, Crazysilver03 said:

What good is it to "get Josephs bat working" if he is the backup? 

Joseph has got to be pressing at the plate.  He didn't have an RBI last year and he is starting bad with the bat this year.  If he is optioned and gets his bats going then he may stop pressing at the plate.  Then things may start to happen for him in a good way.

5 hours ago, Natty said:

I agree 100% about Mancini. Why is our best power hitter so far, riding the bench, while our highest priced power hitter is in a terrible slump but he plays every day?

Because how you have played over the last three years correlates better to how you will play tomorrow than how you played the last three days or weeks.

Archived