MLB has reached the level of being a joke

Nite

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Here's the issue though, Torre told them not to issue warnings so guys aren't playing on eggshells yet Gausman gets tossed for hitting a guy with a curveball that clearly got away. We all know the history, but that doesn't give an umpire carte blanche to just throw out the first guy who vaguely does something that could be considered another incident.

Clearly we have to move on, but 100% disagree with you that anyone can "understand" what he did. The only way you understand what he did is to assume the guy has no understanding of the game and was just trigger happy waiting for the first guy to take out so he can look like he put an end to it. Sale throws a 98 MPH fastball behind Machado on a night when he had pinpoint control and then Gausman gets tossed on a 77MPH curveball? There is absolutely no fairness in that at all!

Good point about Torre telling them not to issue warnings.    I never said the outcome was fair.   I probably wanted to win that game more than any other game this year, just to overcome the adversity we didn't deserve.    We had our chances to win but some defensive miscues and failure to get hits in some clutch situations ended up hurting us more than Gausman's ejection did.   

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Good point about Torre telling them not to issue warnings.    I never said the outcome was fair.   I probably wanted to win that game more than any other game this year, just to overcome the adversity we didn't deserve.    We had our chances to win but some defensive miscues and failure to get hits in some clutch situations ended up hurting us more than Gausman's ejection did.   

The real pain of the Gausman ejection is going to be felt down the road since the O's have a substantial number of games before the next off day.  This Ump's actions irrevocably changed the O's roster management on this road trip.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Well its certainly true if JJ Hardy plays like JJ Hardy we might have been tied after 6 instead of down 4-2.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Well its certainly true if JJ Hardy plays like JJ Hardy we might have been tied after 6 instead of down 4-2.

Unfortunately Tony, I'm worried that is how JJ Hardy plays now.  Last night wasn't exactly an isolated incident.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

The real pain of the Gausman ejection is going to be felt down the road since the O's have a substantial number of games before the next off day.  This Ump's actions irrevocably changed the O's roster management on this road trip.

Good point, we now need a new starter tonight and lost our long man in Bleier who's probably already on the Norfolk shuttle as we speak.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Unfortunately Tony, I'm worried that is how JJ Hardy plays now.  Last night wasn't exactly an isolated incident.

Yeah, I've been saying that all season that JJ looks like a guy in the death throws of his career. His arm is down, and now his hands are starting to be suspect and even his judgement of flyballs have been a struggle at times. Add that to his slow bat and he's definitely a below replacement level player at this point. I would not be totally surprised if Hardy comes down with an "injury" at some point this year and Janish is brought up. I think they give him to the end of the month to see if it's just a cold start or the beginning of the end, but either way he can't get close to the 600 PAs he need for his $14 million option to be automatically picked up.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Good point, we now need a new starter tonight and lost our long man in Bleier who's probably already on the Norfolk shuttle as we speak.

No doubt.    Of course, a lot of folks have been calling for Ubaldo's ouster from the rotation, so the ump just gave us a little nudge in that direction!   :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I've been saying that all season that JJ looks like a guy in the death throws of his career. His arm is down, and now his hands are starting to be suspect and even his judgement of flyballs have been a struggle at times. Add that to his slow bat and he's definitely a below replacement level player at this point. I would not be totally surprised if Hardy comes down with an "injury" at some point this year and Janish is brought up. I think they give him to the end of the month to see if it's just a cold start or the beginning of the end, but either way he can't get close to the 600 PAs he need for his $14 million option to be automatically picked up.

Not worried about the 600 PA.   He's on pace for 573 and Buck's already sat him twice.   

I am worried about his slow start.    But that's for another thread.   

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

That minor leaguer gave up one earned run in 3+ innings. How many runs do you think Gausman realistically gives up?

This is faulty thinking. Not only is it off-point, it is baseless speculation.

I'll say Gausman would have thrown a shutout -- striking out every Sox batter without throwing a ball, just strikes.. That conjecture is as valid (or as invalid) a statement as suggesting Gausman would have done worse than the relievers.

Fact is, we will never know. That knowledge was taken away from every fan of the game.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agree we had a chance to take this one, Bleier and Ubaldo pitched ok to keep us close enough to have a shot at winning last night. 

38 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Here's the issue though, Torre told them not to issue warnings so guys aren't playing on eggshells yet Gausman gets tossed for hitting a guy with a curveball that clearly got away. We all know the history, but that doesn't give an umpire carte blanche to just throw out the first guy who vaguely does something that could be considered another incident.

Clearly we have to move on, but 100% disagree with you that anyone can "understand" what he did. The only way you understand what he did is to assume the guy has no understanding of the game and was just trigger happy waiting for the first guy to take out so he can look like he put an end to it. Sale throws a 98 MPH fastball behind Machado on a night when he had pinpoint control and then Gausman gets tossed on a 77MPH curveball? There is absolutely no fairness in that at all!

It was an awful, awful judgement call and umpires are paid to make good judgement calls.

Even Farrell said last night that they were surprised Gausman got run...

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

So, do you think that if Pomeranz had been the one to hit a batter with a 77 mph curve ball, the ump would not have tossed him?     I don't think that.    It just so happened that it was the Orioles' pitcher who hit someone.   

On the one hand, I can counter by saying, "Why wasn't Sale tossed?" But, in truth, having now read and heard a lot more than earlier, I withdraw my earlier comment. It was a poor call by Holbrook, who was acting under pressures that, in the scenario you proposed, could have just as easily led him to ejecting a Red Sox pitcher.

It should be understood, of course, that this is not a defense of Holbrook, but, in fact, a stronger criticism of his judgement.

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought it was a bad decision, but I understand why he did it considering all that had gone on the last several times these teams have played, the decision of Manfred to call both teams, etc.   In essence, due to the circumstances there was a zero tolerance policy for an HBP last night.    I don't agree with it, but it's not as though he did it in some average game with no prior history.    

We got hosed, but it's time to move on.     

Taking the national pulse via the internet, you are one of the very few. Nobody in Red Sox media agrees. Maybe 5% of hardcore Red Sox partisans agree with you. I get the feeling you are playing devil's advocate in this case because I have read enough of your posts to have a positive opinion of your posts.

As Tony-OH said, " The only way you understand what he did is to assume the guy has no understanding of the game..." And if an umpire doesn't understand the game, that ump should be removed from duty.

Now that makes me angry.  Because now the O's have suffered the penalty of having Gausman tossed for nothing and Sale doesn't even get a start pushed back.  That's so unequal.  I was willing to accept the whole bunch of bs if Sale was getting suspended too like Torre had hinted at.

Archived