Things seem more solid after the Tillman and Gausman starts

Frobby

22 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

That if he ends the season with what would be a disappointing 4.00 ERA he would have a 3.12 ERA the rest of this year.

That may be mathematically true, but it doesn't make me any more optimistic (or pessimistic) about what Gausman will actually do.

By the way, how many innings are you assuming Gausman will throw the rest of the year?   That 6.63 ERA is only over 38 innings, due to a couple of very short starts, including the game where he was tossed.    By my calculations, if you assume 25 more starts and 150 innings, he'd only need a 3.33 ERA the rest of the way to get to 4.00.     The lower the number of assumed innings, the lower ERA he'd need.   

9 minutes ago, dan-O said:

I agree here. I'm concerned about the backend of this bullpen. O'Day still carrying a 5 ERA. 

I think O'Day is the key here.   I think his stats are a bit misleading.  He needs to be good enough that Buck can give Brach a blow when he needs to.    

With respect to DOD, his K/9 / BB/9 / BABIP slash line of 7.53 / 5.02/ .293 is worse than last year's 11.03 / 3.77 / .260 and his career line of 8.85 /2.43 /.255.  I think it is reasonable to expect his BABIP number to improve.

In addition, since DOD's velocity seems OK and, though I'm not familiar w/ the resources one uses to verify pitch movement, from an anecdotal perspective he doesn't appear to have lost much in the way of movement, I am reasonably confident he will be able to right the ship. Another mark in his favor is that he's not extraordinarily dependent on physicality like your typical flame-throwing BP type, so I would expect him to age relatively well.

The entire pitching staff seems to have been unusually walk-prone this year.  Just really need to avoid giving away free baserunners in this league, especially with the line-ups we have to face in the AL East.

2 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Ubaldo's performance end of last year tells me that you shouldn't release him flat out. He is streaky and one of his streaks could help us. Too much money to cut bait with. 

I expect he will be a reliever by years end and I can't really argue with that...but if he was cut I wouldn't have any qualms.

17 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Rotation is on a decent run, but it will be a test for them over the next 3 w/ the Nats.

The real question is, when are they going to start skipping Bundy as Buck alludes to after every one of his starts

Don't know that they want to skip him so much as give him an extra day of rest here and there.  Having Asher, Ynoa, and Wilson available to ride the shuttle can help make that happen.  

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Even Armando Benitez didn't walk guys in the minors at Scott's rate. He's firmly a long-term project.

I've been skeptical of Scott and his high walk rates for years.   What's impressive, though, is that his H/9 is so low that his WHIP is quite reasonable despite the walks.    Hitters just can't seem to square him up, even when they do make contact.    It will be interesting to see how that combination translates if he makes it to the majors.   

5 hours ago, oriole said:

Oliver Drake would be a welcome sight in the bullpen right about now...he is doing fantastic so far for the Brewers.

With the way he was crapped on this year, I dont think I would ever hear those words on this board.  But then again I should have expected it because the grass is ALWAYS greener.  

9 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Is that a "grand pronouncement"?  ;)

A best guess, I suppose. I'm as intrigued as anyone else by his obvious talents, but the guy's walked 6.93 batters per 9 in the minors... And hasn't been getting better. 7.5BB/9 so far this year.

Archived