Things seem more solid after the Tillman and Gausman starts

Frobby

It's just two more wins for a team that already was 19-10, but getting Tillman back and pitching a solid game, followed by an excellent outing from Gausman, gives me a lot of optimism that we aren't going to need perfection from Bundy and unexpectedly great pitching from Miley to keep on a winning track.   This staff could turn out to be pretty good.   

I like the way our rotation is looking except for Ulbaldo. If Tillman can be the guy that has pitched for us the last couple years and Gausman rebound we have something.

Im at the thinking that we should be ready to move Ulbaldo to the pen or even prepare to move him off the roster. Asher deserves a shot at a spot based on what he's done so far.

Due to what appears to be a much improved rotation this might be our best shot at the World Series in decades.

The more you win the more you use the "A" squad of the pen. It's a good problem to have. No starter is going 9. Not even 8. So most likely every win takes two of the big 4 now. 

We really need Asher or Verrett to step up and be a good MR option. On top of having to eat 3-4 IP if the SP goes out early.  

The time may be coming for us to go with a 7 man pen. 

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I want to see it again from BOTH Tillman(coming back from injury is always a question mark) and Gausman(seemed more focused, aggressive, and rested). Im not ready to make any grand pronouncements about our starters just yet. Health and consistency is everything.

I will say this. The bullpen is going to be gassed a lot quicker this year. I dont think Brach can do it every night or even close to every night. O' Day is hittable this year, and Givens has his good and bad nights. Buck seems very preoccupied with staying away from Givens for some reason. Mild injury? Givens hasnt been as sharp lately and this worries me. Donnie Hart is ok but not elite. We need pitching fast. I could see Asher as a 7th inning guy, or Ynoa. But Id like to think one or the other can find a place in this rotation.Ubaldo is a constant worry, but as a #5 it can be hidden somewhat by the schedule. I was mildly encouraged by his performance in Boston. Lets see if he can even keep it close against Scherzer. I doubt it.

Yeah, just imagine what would happen to this team if they went a long stretch with no Tillman or Britton and Gausman pitching poorly. They'd probably play themselves right out of contention, right?

37 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Yeah, just imagine what would happen to this team if they went a long stretch with no Tillman or Britton and Gausman pitching poorly. They'd probably play themselves right out of contention, right?

Let's hope that there are no grand pronouncements or some sort of reverse jinx will be in effect!

8 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Bullpen is looking really shaky

Brach is no Britton

O'day can't be trusted especially against power hitting LH'ers

Givens has been hit hard all year

Going to need someone from the minors to give them a lift, perhaps Crighton

And the sky looked clear and blue this morning. Should have known there was a dark gray cloud somewhere. 

21 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Bullpen is looking really shaky

Brach is no Britton

O'day can't be trusted especially against power hitting LH'ers

Givens has been hit hard all year

Going to need someone from the minors to give them a lift, perhaps Crighton

O'day is getting his sea legs. Givens has gotten good results thus far, far from getting hit hard (2.30 ERA, 4.02 FIP). 

I DO think it's a pretty big concern with Britton out. If we want to make a run, we either need him back to slot everything down OR we'll need to find another back-end solution. Anything on the farm? 

Oliver Drake would be a welcome sight in the bullpen right about now...he is doing fantastic so far for the Brewers.

I agree with Britton out and some other BP guys pitching below their capabilities all the sudden one of the best bullpens in the game is not so great anymore. Asher will be a good addition in MR once the swing man needs have calmed which will hopefully be the case with Tillman back. Ubaldo should be released but we all know he won't be. 

2 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Ubaldo's performance end of last year tells me that you shouldn't release him flat out. He is streaky and one of his streaks could help us. Too much money to cut bait with. 

But how do you predict when a streak streak is about to start and when it is about to end?  How much damage might be done while you are rolling the dice looking for a hot streak?

Something to be encouraged about with Gasman. His current ERA is 6.63. If he ends up with an ERA of 4.00 he would pitch to a 3.12 ERA the rest of the season. Coming into this season I think most of us would be disappointed if Gasman finished the year with a 4.00 ERA.

28 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

O'day is getting his sea legs. Givens has gotten good results thus far, far from getting hit hard (2.30 ERA, 4.02 FIP). 

I DO think it's a pretty big concern with Britton out. If we want to make a run, we either need him back to slot everything down OR we'll need to find another back-end solution. Anything on the farm? 

Ryan Meisinger.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

Something to be encouraged about with Gasman. His current ERA is 6.63. If he ends up with an ERA of 4.00 he would pitch to a 3.12 ERA the rest of the season. Coming into this season I think most of us would be disappointed if Gasman finished the year with a 4.00 ERA.

So what is encouraging about this?

Archived