Congratulations to Melvin Mora!!

Tony-OH

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Nevermore said:

I remember Mora during my time as an Orioles fan- in- exile (late 1990s until 2013). He was one of the few highlights. As far as all of his kids, he had quintuplets.

Indeed. Fun fact: Mora is the only member of the Orioles Hall of Fame who was never part of a winning O's club (they were under .500 in each of his 10 seasons).

It goes to show how good he was that he put up such an impressive O's career amidst so much drek.

23 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Mora is my 2nd favorite franchise player ever, and my favorite Oriole since the team moved to Baltimore in 1954.

I was at his final game as an Oriole, which was the last game of the season in 2009. When Dave Trembley removed him from the game for a pinch-hitter, we gave him a well-deserved standing ovation.

o

o

P.S. I'll never forget the fact that Melvin always used to tell Adam Jones, "Adam, use TWO HANDS to catch the ball when you have plenty of time to camp under it. One of these days you are going to drop an easy fly ball, and it's going to be at the worst time."

In 2009, just that happened. With two outs and a runner on second base, Adam used his typical nonchalant approach to a an easy fly ball, and he dropped it. The runner from 2nd base scored. When Jones went back to the dugout, he wanted to be nowhere near Mora. Mora didn't say a word to Jones. He just went up to him, looked at him with serious eyes, and walked away. Both Jones and Mora knew what that meantFortunately, the Orioles wound up winning that game.

Mora was a mentor to Jones, as Jones is a mentor to other younger Orioles.

o

43 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Indeed. Fun fact: Mora is the only member of the Orioles Hall of Fame who was never part of a winning O's club (they were under .500 in each of his 10 seasons).

It goes to show how good he was that he put up such an impressive O's career amidst so much drek.

Is Brian Roberts not in the O's Hall of Fame?

50 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Indeed. Fun fact: Mora is the only member of the Orioles Hall of Fame who was never part of a winning O's club (they were under .500 in each of his 10 seasons.)

6 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Is Brian Roberts not in the O's Hall of Fame?

o

Not yet.

Also, Roberts (unlike Mora) was a part of two Orioles winning teams in 2012 and 2013, albeit only a small part of the 2012 team due to his injuries. In 2013, he had almost 300 plate appearances.

o

Archived