Once & For All: How Would You Use Posey?

After all the threads and discussions concerning the likely 'College Player of the Year', were the Orioles to draft Buster Posey, how would you like to see him used?

This is not a thread to post reasons why we shouldn't draft him, as that's been hashed over often enough, but rather a thread to truly make a determination on how the Orioles might view his talents and how said talents may impact/interact with Matt Wieters, if at all.

///////////////////////////////////////

My thoughts are thus...

IF we draft Posey, and assuming both he and Wieters make it to the majors are are good players... we could split the catching duties between the two, say 81/81 or something similar, allowing each to extend their considerable careers and DH on most of their non-catching days. That way they would both be in the lineup and getting 550+ AB's per year.

That's one thought... any others?

After all the threads and discussions concerning the likely 'College Player of the Year', were the Orioles to draft Buster Posey, how would you like to see him used?

This is not a thread to post reasons why we shouldn't draft him, as that's been hashed over often enough, but rather a thread to truly make a determination on how the Orioles might view his talents and how said talents may impact/interact with Matt Wieters, if at all.

///////////////////////////////////////

My thoughts are thus...

IF we draft Posey, and assuming both he and Wieters make it to the majors are are good players... we could split the catching duties between the two, say 81/81 or something similar, allowing each to extend their considerable careers and DH on most of their non-catching days. That way they would both be in the lineup and getting 550+ AB's per year.

I would add that Posey should also be used as a super utility guy, who gets major at bats when not catching. Third, first, corner outfield: He's suppose to be a good athlete so why not maximize the talent. 81/81 might not be necessary until Wieters is approaching 30. But 50 games catching while playing elsewhere would be a good use of Poseys' abilities.

I would add that Posey should also be used as a super utility guy, who gets major at bats when not catching. Third, first, corner outfield: He's suppose to be a good athlete so why not maximize the talent. 81/81 might not be necessary until Wieters is approaching 30. But 50 games catching while playing elsewhere would be a good use of Poseys' abilities.

No it wouldn't. Do you really want to waste the 4th overall pick in the draft on a "super utility" guy?

If they drafted him, and then I took over as GM, I'd try to trade him once eligible for a similarly talented player at another position. He's a bum compared to Wieters and I don't think his bat isn't good enough to be an asset at any other position that he can handle defensively (LF, 1B would be my prime choices).

He's a Darin Erstad type guy, and I don't think the Angels ended up being too thrilled with using a #1 overall pick on him. If he's not catching full time, which he wouldn't be doing with us, he's not worth that high of a pick, IMO.

My thoughts are thus...

I'd consider moving him to 2B, especially if you trade Roberts. Posey seems to be a Biggio (less speed) type player who could do well at 2B.

He can't. Not at the major league level. He projects best as a catcher. IMO, if a team plans on moving him from behind the plate then they have wasted their pick.

It's been gathered tht Posey could play SS at the ML level, and would be a likely mid-first rounder under those circumstances... however, his potential behind the plate exceeds his skillset at SS, so he'll be looked at as a catcher.

He could play there (SS) in a pinch or even as a super utility guy as Wayne pointed out. :)

That is one option, although I imagine we wouldn't draft him just to deal him.
Of course not, that would be amazingly stupid.

But you asked how would we use him assuming he was already drafted.

This would sort of be a Jeremy Bonderman / Billy Beane situation that would be incredibly unlikely to end well for the team.

That is one option, although I imagine we wouldn't draft him just to deal him.

Better chance of drafting him that way then saying him and Wieters split time behind the plate...I think there is zero chance of that happening.

If they feel Posey is the best talent on the board when the draft, the idea of either moving Wieters to first or trade Posey has to be on their minds.

Plant Posey at C and slide Wieters to 1B. We'd still have a stud behind the plate (one of the hardest positions to find a stud for) and now we'd have a stud 1B too.

Maybe, but I'd rather keep Matt behind the plate and go Smoak if that was the master plan..does anyone see Smoak going ahead of Posey?

Plant Posey at C and slide Wieters to 1B. We'd still have a stud behind the plate (one of the hardest positions to find a stud for) and now we'd have a stud 1B too.

But then where does Tex go :D

Just kidding, I am just acting like Tex is automatic, just like most people on this board. I agree this is a possibility. Wieters did play first at frederick not to long ago. Not that that means much, just that someone has enough confidence to play him there. Also, if Wieters is better defensively at C, then consider Posey the 1B and Wieters the catcher. I don't know if Posey can play First or not, but most Catchers seem to transition well there. Anyway, either way works. If he is that good, we will find a place for him. It is not like our farm system is stacked and the ML team is that good. Andy said we will draft for the best player, not necessarily a need. He isn't just going to sit there if he develops well.

Archived