Mancini is faster than advertised

Frobby

I've noticed a number of times now that Mancini gets down the line really well.    He beat out an infield hit today and he often makes it close there on relatively routine grounders.    He's not a burner, but not really a plodding guy either.   

He is definitely not plodding.  On a related note, does anyone know where to easily get player running speed statistics? There are the Statcast ones (that seem locked away in some MLB database somewhere), but I am also interested in old school ones like home to first times. I assume players have gotten faster on average over the years, but then again I think they have gotten bigger as well.  Have they done both?

9 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

He is definitely not plodding.  On a related note, does anyone know where to easily get player running speed statistics? There are the Statcast ones (that seem locked away in some MLB database somewhere), but I am also interested in old school ones like home to first times. I assume players have gotten faster on average over the years, but then again I think they have gotten bigger as well.  Have they done both?

Spreadsheet link from a Fangraphs article. I don't know if the 2017 numbers have enough sample to be trustworthy (some players are missing) but 2016 has most players listed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11TOD6q-RN-8hU-76F6MVA0BivTO6Sx60zi6rFO2veKE

Just now, SilverRocket said:

From the 2016 numbers:

Bourn 4.01

Rickard 4.11

Jones 4.15

Kim 4.19

Machado 4.31

Flaherty 4.33

Schoop 4.39

Davis 4.39

Trumbo 4.44

W. Castillo 4.44

P. Alvarez 4.48

Joseph 4.49

Wieters 4.55

Hardy's missing from the list, not sure why.

Sundial was broken.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sundial was broken.

I think that is one of the complications of the home to first stat actually.  It is the time on "competitive" plays (not sure what the standard is), and you need a minimum number to qualify.  So a chunk of the Big Papi's  of the game....and perhaps the JJ's get excluded, skewing things faster.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Left handed hitterers have a head start but he still gets down the line faster than Flahert and Davis.  Kim also tends to kind of bail out so he's pretty much headed that way similar to Ichiro's style.

In a straight foot race, I guarantee he's not 4th fastest.

Agree with all this.    Overall, we're a slow team getting down the line.   

That's why there is hope that his defense can get better.  His arm doesn't seem that bad either, it seem like mechanics.  He's got an "infielder's" throwing motion as opposed to the over the top throw that "OF's" use.  

The most impressive thing is that he's learning how to play OF on the fly and it hasn't affected his bat.  A guy like Pedro Alvarez is hitting sub .200 in AAA while trying to learn OF.  

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Left handed hitterers have a head start but he still gets down the line faster than Flahert and Davis.  Kim also tends to kind of bail out so he's pretty much headed that way similar to Ichiro's style.

In a straight foot race, I guarantee he's not 4th fastest.

He's also got kind of a gritty hustle getting down the line. Some of our other guys don't do that all the time.

Then there's Wieters, of course, who - on top of being slow as molasses - kind of had Buck's blessing to jog out routine grounders, etc., to save his knees.

Archived