Whas that it?

webbrick2010

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That strategy works better when ownership is willing to invest in the International market.

Organizations that use ALL means of acquiring talent tend to be the consistently successful ones. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, joeyc said:

I said, a short spurt and back to a 9 week slump. That's the real Chris Davis. What a terrible contract. We will regret that one for a long time to come. Albert Bell all over again.

It's simply false that Davis slumps 75-80% of the time.    I did a breakdown of 2016 recently and it basically showed he was hot half the time and cold half the time.    

Moreover, I don't know if it really matters whether a player tends to run hot and cold or tends to be more consistent.    The overall results are what matters.    I'd rather have an .850 OPS guy who alternates between 1.050 and .650 each month, than a guy who puts up an .800 OPS every month.    

All that said, I don't know how Davis' season will turn out.    There are several hot and cold streaks to come.    

Agree with many of the points here. Signing Trumbo based on a year where he obviously played over his head and for only half a season is absurd. Chris Davis is not a bad player by any means, but he is not worth $20M+ and should not have gotten seven years. These are two bad contracts which the Orioles seem to be really good at giving out which tells me Mr Angelos still has not learned anything after all these years. He is setting this organization up for another prolonged dark age which few on these forums seem to have a problem with. Baffling considering all the "well at least it's better than the 2000's" lines thrown around here, but none of those people seem to care that we're headed right back there again unless we make some hard decisions and make the trades that need to be made and should have started to be made last offseason. DD gets some of the blame as well, but I can't help but think he's been handcuffed by our meddling owner.

I also agree about not letting the farm rot like we're doing and sacrificing it for a team that cannot win a championship and does not have the means to get better. I think there can be exceptions made for long term contracts, but the Orioles never make the right exceptions and I don't think I'd exceed five guaranteed years at the most. I think the foundation (farm system) should be kept solid so it keeps churning out talent and I think we need to be more involved in the international market as it's a huge loss to be avoiding it. We need to get back to putting more emphasis on scouting and player development. I don't think the FO is on the same page nor do they know what they are doing anymore and if they don't make the trades that need to be made while players still have value (Britton's value may have already been hurt to some degree), it's going to be a rough ride from here on out for a long time.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Organizations that use ALL means of acquiring talent tend to be the consistently successful ones. 

The Orioles haven't been that kind of organization in a long, long time. I think most of us would agree that things are better than they were in the early 2000's, but they are still the Orioles/it's still Angelos' organization. 

14 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Just a few days ago in a game thread, you were praising Davis for getting on base and calling Mark Trumbo "Trumbum" for following it up with an out.

Now Trumbo is heating up, so Davis is again your whipping boy.

o

5 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Make no mistake I think both contracts are horrendous and both players not worth a quarter of the salary DD gifted them

o

Make no mistake, your agenda is as transparent as Scotch tape, and anybody that has seen even a modest amount of your posting history knows this.

You will say almost anything (including praising a player to put down another) to push your attacks, regardless of whether or not you happen to "like" said player and their contract.

o

11 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I agree with much of your sentiment, but it's hard to win without overpaying for some players. Also, do you just want Angelos to keep the money? I guess you would want to invest a lot more in the minor league system, international signings, etc, but that leaves a lot of money on the table. I do not care if the Orioles over pay for wins unless it really hinders them in the future. I don't like what they have done in terms of losing picks and the like, but I don't care if they overpay Hardy, Davis, or others if the money wasn't going to be used to improve the team now or long term...and there's little evidence that it really would be used better IMO. Who cares if they overpay if the only real damage is to Angelos' profit margins. 

Well I know it would never happen, but I'd love to see payroll cut to 100M and ticket prices rolled back. Seems attendance has  been drooping and who know how far it will drop if the O's really come unglued, and of course like you said invest more money in player development and especially scouting

49 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Well I know it would never happen, but I'd love to see payroll cut to 100M and ticket prices rolled back. Seems attendance has  been drooping and who know how far it will drop if the O's really come unglued, and of course like you said invest more money in player development and especially scouting

If the payroll were cut you would be the first to say that Angelos is too cheap to field a competitive team.  So either Agenda A or B whichever fits your narrative.  

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's simply false that Davis slumps 75-80% of the time.    I did a breakdown of 2016 recently and it basically showed he was hot half the time and cold half the time.    

Moreover, I don't know if it really matters whether a player tends to run hot and cold or tends to be more consistent.    The overall results are what matters.    I'd rather have an .850 OPS guy who alternates between 1.050 and .650 each month, than a guy who puts up an .800 OPS every month.    

All that said, I don't know how Davis' season will turn out.    There are several hot and cold streaks to come.    

Luke Scott and Mark Reynolds were like that too. Only they were both cold far more than not. Davis is a very patient hitter. And it does cause him to watch too many pitches without a robo ump.

11 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Well, at least you prefaced the rest of your statement with some kind of reality. The Orioles do have plenty of things they can do better and unfortunately their free agent signings and resignings have been more bad than good.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, at least you prefaced the rest of your statement with some kind of reality. The Orioles do have plenty of things they can do better and unfortunately their free agent signings and resignings have been more bad than good.

What's an example of good? Under the DD reign?

I guess you could say the one year Cruz, and one year Trumbo deals, but I got nothing for a multi year signing

26 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I guess you could say the one year Cruz, and one year Trumbo deals, but I got nothing for a multi year signing

Castillo get the web stamp of approval?

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Castillo is looking pretty good and as you mentioned the Cruz one year deal worked out. If you are looking for me to defend DD's free agency and resignings (Hardy, Davis, O'day) then you've come to the wrong place. lol. DD is really good at finding bargain basement value guys that give the team depth, but not impact players.  

His trade for Trumbo and Seth Smith were good, and I still say his Andrew Miller and Bud Norris trades had solid reasoning and can be defended, but other than the Miley trade (which is still up for final analysis since Miranda was much cheaper and has been solid in Seattle) the rest of his trades didn't really move the needle much.

I think DD does a good job of keeping his teams competitive year in and year out, but the scouting he relies on has failed him on his free agent signings and trades for guys like Parra. 

Ownership doesn't allow him to work the international free agency market hard though he should have been way more aggressive with Thames this offseason instead of resigning Trumbo. 

I like DD overall because his teams have been competitive and given us meaningful baseball in September since he got here, but the drafting and development, as well as scouting major league players must improve for the team to take a next step.

There is very little if any impact talent in the minor league system right now. That's on scouting in my opinion and that can't be allowed to keep happening.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Castillo is looking pretty good and as you mentioned the Cruz one year deal worked out. If you are looking for me to defend DD's free agency and resignings (Hardy, Davis, O'day) then you've come to the wrong place. lol. DD is really good at finding bargain basement value guys that give the team depth, but not impact players.  

His trade for Trumbo and Seth Smith were good, and I still say his Andrew Miller and Bud Norris trades had solid reasoning and can be defended, but other than the Miley trade (which is still up for final analysis since Miranda was much cheaper and has been solid in Seattle) the rest of his trades didn't really move the needle much.

I think DD does a good job of keeping his teams competitive year in and year out, but the scouting he relies on has failed him on his free agent signings and trades for guys like Parra. 

Ownership doesn't allow him to work the international free agency market hard though he should have been way more aggressive with Thames this offseason instead of resigning Trumbo. 

I like DD overall because his teams have been competitive and given us meaningful baseball in September since he got here, but the drafting and development, as well as scouting major league players must improve for the team to take a next step.

There is very little if any impact talent in the minor league system right now. That's on scouting in my opinion and that can't be allowed to keep happening.

This has sadly been the Orioles MO since... the late 90s?

If you ignore Top 10 overall picks (Machado, Wieters, Bundy, Gausman, Matusz for a hot minute)... what major contributors during the 2012-2016 O's revival were actually drafted by the organization?

Schoop was an international signing that worked out, crazy as it sounds for this organization.

59 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

This has sadly been the Orioles MO since... the late 90s?

If you ignore Top 10 overall picks (Machado, Wieters, Bundy, Gausman, Matusz for a hot minute)... what major contributors during the 2012-2016 O's revival were actually drafted by the organization?

Schoop was an international signing that worked out, crazy as it sounds for this organization.

Britton

Givens

Caleb Joseph (OK, not a "major contributor" despite Bordick saying he was arguably the MVP of the 2015 team)

Archived