Another way to use Manny

webbrick2010

I've heard folks talk about trading Manny for a "boat load" of prospects

I'm not convinced with only 1 1/2 years before FA and hitting .240 over his last 140 games that we will get a "boat load" of prospects

I was thinking another approach would be to package Manny with a bad contract.

It would be too much to try to force CD on anyone, but how about a package of Manny & Trumbo. Get the O's out of the last two years of the Trumbo contract and I'd expect us to still get back some decent prospects. If not Trumbo than pehaps Adam Jones who get 18 million next year.

The O's need prospects, but they would also be well served by eliminating some of the veteran dead wood that they have under contract

Well, if you were going to staple a bad contract to Manny in a trade, it would definitely be Davis not Trumbo. They could easily pick up half of Davis's deal or even more when they have his replacement already on hand with Mancini who will be making practically nothing for the next few years. But with Angelos getting on in years, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't trade Manny at all to make one more run at it next year which would just be a killer for this organization. 

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A year and a half is two shots at a ring and a first round pick if he walks.

The market for Machado, who can play short and third at a high level, would be strong.

I hope we find out, but I expect Manny to be an Oriole thru 2018

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

A year and a half is two shots at a ring and a first round pick if he walks.

The market for Machado, who can play short and third at a high level, would be strong.

I get where you are coming from, but under the new CBA  teams that tender qualifying offers to free agents will receive either a second and fifth round picks from teams that are over the luxury tax or a third round pick from the other teams.www.businessinsider.com/mlb-change-free-agent-compensation-new-cba-2016-12.  

If I am the Orioles I would try to sign Machado to a long term deal this off season. If they are unsuccessful, I would move him before next season to maximize his return. IMO, the Orioles either have to build the team around Machado or use him to retool the team before next year. They can't afford to let him walk for draft pick compensation.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It's fantasy but I already mentioned a Manny/Davis trade to the Yankees where both players are perfect fits.  O's take back the rest of Headley's contract, Gleyber Torres, Greg Bird, and a pitching prospect.   Something like that.

You are correct, this deal would not happen in this era where division rivals are rarely trade partners. ( Particularly those of the blockbuster variety.) IMO, this would be a nice deal for both teams. Well done.

2 minutes ago, Superbee83 said:

I get where you are coming from, but under the new CBA  teams that tender qualifying offers to free agents will receive either a second and fifth round picks from teams that are over the luxury tax or a third round pick from the other teams.www.businessinsider.com/mlb-change-free-agent-compensation-new-cba-2016-12.  

If I am the Orioles I would try to sign Machado to a long term deal this off season. If they are unsuccessful, I would move him before next season to maximize his return. IMO, the Orioles either have to build the team around Machado or use him to retool the team before next year. They can't afford to let him walk for draft pick compensation.

Quite right, I had forgotten that change.

Archived