What if...

jgjbanker

What if it is June 30th, the Orioles are 7 games below.500, and in 4th place in the AL East.  What players are you trying move or do you hold tight and try to win again in 2018?

Conversely, it is the same date and the Orioles are 5 games over .500 and 2nd in the AL East, do you buy and what position can you realistically target?

5 minutes ago, jgjbanker said:

What if it is June 30th, the Orioles are 7 games below.500, and in 4th place in the AL East.  What players are you trying move or do you hold tight and try to win again in 2018?

Conversely, it is the same date and the Orioles are 5 games over .500 and 2nd in the AL East, do you buy and what position can you realistically target?

Well, we all assumed the Red Sox would win the division with their starting pitching. The question was whether the "young" Yankees would arrive this year or next year. If the Yanks appear to be for real by the end of June then we need to face the reality that both Boston and NY will rule the division for several years.

22 minutes ago, jgjbanker said:

Sell them all. All of them. 

21 minutes ago, jgjbanker said:

What if it is June 30th, the Orioles are 7 games below.500, and in 4th place in the AL East.

This needs to be elaborated on a bit.  Is it 7 Games below .500 with 11 other teams in the AL being 10 to 14 games below .500??  Or are the Orioles 7 Games Below .500 and staring up at all but one or two of the AL Teams???

8 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

This needs to be elaborated on a bit.  Is it 7 Games below .500 with 11 other teams in the AL being 10 to 14 games below .500??  Or are the Orioles 7 Games Below .500 and staring up at all but one or two of the AL Teams???

I would not care. Seven below? Blow it up. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I would not care. Seven below? Blow it up. 

The problem would be the amount of BUYERS as opposed to the amount of SELLERS.  You would need more BUYERS than SELLERS to get the most from a complete blowup.  A last place standing in the East and a bottom three standing overall in MLB would make for a better market IF Eight to Ten teams were in divisional races/wild card hunts.

Just now, thezeroes said:

The problem would be the amount of BUYERS as opposed to the amount of SELLERS.  You would need more BUYERS than SELLERS to get the most from a complete blowup.  A last place standing in the East and a bottom three standing overall in MLB would make for a better market IF Eight to Ten teams were in divisional races/wild card hunts.

I would still sell. 

I highly doubt a complete blow-up under any circumstances due to Buck and DD's contract situation. I think we will have to be under .500 and fourth or fifth in the division for us to be sellers. 

What's real unfortunate is the value hit that players like Tillman, Britton, and Hardy have already taken. 

Machado, Brach, and Jones should be able to bring back nice packages and maybe Britton too if he comes back healthy. 

1. Manny Machado
  2. Mark Trumbo (for peanuts or keep partial salary)
  3. Zach Britton
  4. Wade Miley
  5. Seth Smith
  6. Brad Brach
  7. Chris Tillman

Those are the movable pieces I would concentrate on in order of priority. Hyun-Soo Kim would also be on the trade block but he might be more of a DFA guy.

I'd try to keep Dylan Bundy, Trey Mancini, Jonathan Schoop, and yes Adam Jones.  Chris Davis and Darren O' Day probably have contracts where the returns wouldn't be worth it.  I'm unsure about Wellington Castillo.

Hopefully that's a better answer than the blanket "sell everyone".  Even with Davis-Jones-O'Day under contract the team will have a ton of money to play with, a bit of a core intact and likely a slew of good young players to evaluate.  I would attempt to sign/extend Schoop before he becomes cost prohibitive.

Archived