Mike Wright's chance is coming

wildcard

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildcard said:

I'm all for it.  Name one you think the O's can get.

Sorry, I don't have time for this, but are you seriously telling me that there's nobody available that the O's can get that's a better starter than Wright?

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I'd sooner throw in with the "maybe he'll make it as a reliever" crowd than ever give him another start. The guy has shown he can't do it.

Wright was a reliever is there as an option.   But he may be needed as a starter before this season is over.

I've always liked Wright better in relief. His biggest issue has always been consistently, sometimes from inning to inning. He has plus stuff when he's letting it loose out of the pen. The only issue is can he be counted on in close games because of his penchant to be inconsistent? 

I also think he has a better makeup for the pen. Keep him busy, don't make him prepare for starts, just put him out in the pen and let him know he could be used on any night. He was 96-98 last night and he change has always been a good pitch. 

I'm done with him as a starter. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I've always liked Wright better in relief. His biggest issue has always been consistently, sometimes from inning to inning. He has plus stuff when he's letting it loose out of the pen. The only issue is can he be counted on in close games because of his penchant to be inconsistent? 

I also thinks he has a better makeup for the pen. Keep him busy, don't make him prepare for starts, just put him out in the pen and let him know he could be used on any night. He was 96-98 last night and he change has always been a good pitch. 

That is fine.   Jimenez and Tillman are shaky as starters.   Asher is an unknown.  Who is the next starter up if needed?

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Starters are hard to get from other teams during the season.  They are in so much demand.  The O's really need to grow their own.   When I think about Wright I consider how many chances it took Tillman to find success in the  majors.     I  am not giving up of Wright as a starter until he runs out of chances.  He is posed for another shot at starting when needed.

Objectively, Wright has never been as highly regarded as Tillman, Arrieta, Matusz, Britton, Bundy, Gausman, Hunter, or Rodriguez, and having watched him over the last three seasons, I can see why. His offspeed stuff isn't that good, his fastball doesn't have much movement, and his command is mediocre.   That's not to say he can't have some days when things click (we've seen a few), but I just don't think it's realistic to compare his struggles to Tillman's.   Tillman always had a much better repertoire than Wright.

Now, there is a separate question --are the likes of Ynoa, Asher and Verrett any better than Wright?    The answer is, I haven't seen enough of any of them to really know     They've each had their moments on the big stage and have performed well at times, but I can't say if they'd do any better than Wright if handed a rotation slot.     There's a reason we didn't give up a whole lot to acquire these guys -- they have their own flaws and issues, and we've now started to see some of them.

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Lol, we're talking in circles.  

Not really.  You said it shouldn't be hard to find a starter better than Wright.  I said name him.   

I don't know of  one it you do I'd like to know about it.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Objectively, Wright has never been as highly regarded as Tillman, Arrieta, Matusz, Britton, Bundy, Gausman, Hunter, or Rodriguez, and having watched him over the last three seasons, I can see why. His offspeed stuff isn't that good, his fastball doesn't have much movement, and his command is mediocre.   That's not to say he can't have some days when things click (we've seen a few), but I just don't think it's realistic to compare his struggles to Tillman's.   Tillman always had a much better repertoire than Wright.

Now, there is a separate question --are the likes of Ynoa, Asher and Verrett any better than Wright?    The answer is, I haven't seen enough of any of them to really know     They've each had their moments on the big stage and have performed well at times, but I can't say if they'd do any better than Wright if handed a rotation slot.     There's a reason we didn't give up a whole lot to acquire these guys -- they have their own flaws and issues, and we've now started to see some of them.

I agree with all that.  Which brings us the the fact that Wright has pitched better than any O's  starter at AAA over his last 5 starts.  And the O's may need a starter soon.   

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is fine.   Jimenez and Tillman are shaky as starters.   Asher is an unknown.  Who is the next starter up if needed?

As bad as Asher was last game, I would run him out there for five starts or so and see what we have. Tillman is going nowhere unless he's hurt. We all have to hope he's still shaking off rust but he is concerning.

I know that Wright has been the best of the starters in AAA, and he's probably the best in house current option after Asher, but I'd rather see if he can be the reliever we hope he can be. 

This problem really highlights the amount crapping the bed the likes of Ynoa, Lee, Verrett, Aquino, and Wilson have done in AAA. 

12 hours ago, George Zuverink said:

At one point or another, everyone on this board has said that Wright should be in the bullpen, not a starter. Maybe Buck will do it this time.

I think that's been the unanimous thought on the forum. Me included. It's between the ears with Wright. His stuff is very good in short stints. Especially if he focuses on just his plus pitches.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

As bad as Asher was last game, I would run him out there fior five starts or so and see what we have. Tillman is going nowhere unless he's hurt. We all have to hope he's still shaking off rust but he is concerning.

I know that Wright has been the best of the starters in AAA, and he's probably the best in house current option after Asher, but I'd rather see if he can be the reliever we hope he can be. 

This problem really highlights the amount crapping the bed the likes of Ynoa, Lee, Verrett, Aquino, and Wilson have done in AAA. 

Hard to dispute any of that.   Things seemed pretty hopeful in spring training but the regular season performance in AAA hasn't been impressive.    I'd go along with your plan, though Asher can't have another outing like the last one.    

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Not really.  You said it shouldn't be hard to find a starter better than Wright.  I said name him.   

I don't know of  one it you do I'd like to know about it.

Ok, when I have time after work, I'll do it.  But remember, you're asking me who we could get that's better than Wright - who has a 1.42 WHIP in the minors this season and 1.48 career WHIP - in the minors - at age 27.  That's a REALLY low bar.  If I can't come up with at least a couple dozen names, then shame on me.  

Archived