Getting rid of Chris Davis

webbrick2010

2 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I would if the Tigers ate the difference between the two contracts. At least Cabrera can hit. And even if he is 75% of what he was, he could still tear it up at Camden Yards.

Your condition makes the answer very obvious.    I think anybody would take Cabrera if the price were equal.    The issue is whether you'd rather have Cabrera and his contract than Davis and his.   And that depends on just how much more productive you think Cabrera will be than Davis.

Cabrera will cost $184 mm over the next six years, compared to Davis' $115 over five.    To cover that extra $69 mm, Cabrera would need to produce about 8.5 WAR more than Davis, and he has one more year than Davis to do it.

I don't know enough about Cabrera's injuries and the reasons he fell off a cliff in 2017 to make a judgment on this.  He went from 4.9 rWAR to -0.8 in one season.   That's about as drastic as it gets.   

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

Although I was in favor of the Davis contract when it was signed prior to the 2016 season, I am dismayed at being stuck with both he and Trumbo's contracts ........ but for different reasons.

I'm not thrilled about Trumbo's contract, but monetarily, his contract really is not that big of a deal ........ $13 Million per year over the next 2 years is not exactly chump-change for a mid-market team like the Orioles, but it is not exactly a back-breaker, either. Him being (primarily) a DH that cannot play adequate defense at any position is/was almost as big of a handicap as was his woefully sub-par offensive season was in 2017.

Davis, on the other hand, CAN play very solid defense at his primary position (1st Base) ........ and that was one of the reasons why I was in favor of the Orioles retaining him with the long-term contract that they gave him when they did. However, unlike Trumbo's mildly money-draining contract, Davis' contract IS a very big deal monetarily for a mid-market team like the Orioles.

Two contracts, both disappointing, and for different reasons.

If I had a chance to absolve/erase either of the contracts, it would be Davis's ........ specifically because of the money and the longevity of it ........ even though he is a considerably more complete player than is Trumbo overall. 

Strictly as a player, Davis helps the team more than Trumbo does.

Strictly on a monetary level, Davis's contract hurts the team more than does Trumbo's contract does.

o

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I'm sure I can't be the only one who wonders if you are offering speculation that he has some "disorder" or if you are making a statement that he indeed does have a disorder?   Or is this a reference to his ADD?    Are you suggesting that the alternative medicine to the Adderall is just not the same?    So, please expand because I'm interested.

I know nothing that you don't. I know he has some kind of mental issue with swinging. Call it yips, or trigger fright, buck fever. Whatever. There is something.  He does not watch strike three on purpose. I don't know why he takes the Ritalin or what it is prescribed for.  I know he had an issue with the nicotine addiction. And I know he got worse on the field when he tried to quit. 

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I'm sure I can't be the only one who wonders if you are offering speculation that he has some "disorder" or if you are making a statement that he indeed does have a disorder?   Or is this a reference to his ADD?    Are you suggesting that the alternative medicine to the Adderall is just not the same?    So, please expand because I'm interested.

It's also possible that he abused the previous meds to gain advantage and these don't allow the same ingestion method. I really don't know. I know the guy used to be focused with an easy swing and now he isn't. 

29 minutes ago, weams said:

It's also possible that he abused the previous meds to gain advantage and these don't allow the same ingestion method. I really don't know. I know the guy used to be focused with an easy swing and now he isn't. 

As best we know he has his best season when he wasn't on anything.

30 minutes ago, weams said:

I didn't know any of this Weams. I did know about his ADD problems. Makes me wonder what on earth is going on with him?

8 hours ago, weams said:

I know nothing that you don't. I know he has some kind of mental issue with swinging. Call it yips, or trigger fright, buck fever. Whatever. There is something.  He does not watch strike three on purpose. I don't know why he takes the Ritalin or what it is prescribed for.  I know he had an issue with the nicotine addiction. And I know he got worse on the field when he tried to quit. 

I've mentioned this before, but I think it's a more simple explanation.  He doesn't have the ability to get the bat through the zone on a fastball when he isn't looking fastball.  

Being a complete guess hitter and not being able to adjust and fight a pitch off is why you see so many pathetic whiffs on breaking pitches and the bat not leaving his shoulder on fastballs right down the middle.  This is not something that is going to get better as he ages unless he is able to make adjustments with his swing. 

I could be wrong, but that's my take on it.  I don't think it's a mental/focus issue. 

On 10/14/2017 at 1:49 PM, OFFNY said:

I was in favor of the Davis contract when it was signed prior to the 2016 season....

Davis, on the other hand, CAN play very solid defense at his primary position (1st Base) ........ and that was one of the reasons why I was in favor of the Orioles retaining him with the long-term contract that they gave him when they did. However, unlike Trumbo's mildly money-draining contract, Davis' contract IS a very big deal monetarily for a mid-market team like the Orioles.

What were the other reasons? The comps for hitters of his type (TTOH) were there for everyone to see and there wasn’t one that showed the contract being offered was justified.

You don’t hand out a seven year deal based on a guy playing a solid 1B.

42 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

What were the other reasons? The comps for hitters of his type (TTOH) were there for everyone to see and there wasn’t one that showed the contract being offered was justified.

You don’t hand out a seven year deal based on a guy playing a solid 1B.

This guy is pretty good at defense at the easiest position on the field. Lock him up forever.

Archived