Getting rid of Chris Davis

webbrick2010

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/10/2017 at 8:08 PM, paulcoates said:

Stanton: 18:$25M, 19:$26M, 20:$26M,21:$29M, 22:$29M, 23:$32M, 24:$32M, 25:$32M, 26:$29M,27:$25M, 28:$25M club option ($10M buyout) (10 YRS - $294M at a minimum)

Before anyone wonders why I included Stanton, I think when he starts declining, that contract is brutal and a complete albatross

On 10/11/2017 at 8:01 AM, birdwatcher55 said:

That Stanton contract is indeed staggering. It makes Davis' look like chump change.

Stanton is a much better player than Davis.   I can't disagree that the back end of his deal will likely be pretty brutal.   However, in 2017 (which would have been his first free agent season), he already provided about $40 mm in excess value.     He turns 28 next month, and probably will provide excess value for the next several years.    

I love the 3-way... given the right partners... 

If the Red Sox were interested in Stanton, why wouldn't they just trade with the Marlins? Porcello + prospects. There's no need to bring the Orioles in. The Marlins don't want or need Davis. They want to rebuild. 

21 hours ago, esmd said:

I dunno why you'd move him now and sell low.  I'd call it 50/50 next year whether he has another year like the last two or hit's 40+ HR's and drives in 100+.  You just never know with him.  If he can stay healthy and he gets on a hot streak, we'll be glad he's in the lineup.

Right but I don't think he will though. I have a very low hope that CD can go back to where he was when he hit 40 plus homeruns. This is just my opinion but I think he is done. Or close to it. 

15 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

3-way trade

• Marlins get: 3 prospects and $10 million (from the Red Sox); Chris Davis and $10 million (from the Orioles)
  • Orioles get: Rick Porcello and Tzu-Wei Lin (from the Red Sox)
  • Red Sox get: Giancarlo Stanton (from the Marlins)

It's a nice haul for the Marlins in terms of prospects and financial savings. Davis gives them a "big bat" for the middle of the lineup.

Porcello might help the O's in one of the two years he'd spend with the team (or not), but at least he'd resemble a major league pitcher and they'd be out from under Davis's contract. Kim would be a young, lefty-hitting utility player, which they could use.

Giancarlo Stanton would give the Red Sox the Big Papi replacement they need.

For the O's, the deal comes down to Chris Davis and $10 million for Rick Porcello and Tzu-Wei Lin.

What Kim are you talking about?

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick2 said:

It so easy to sit back and play fantasy GM, and lets trade this guy or this guy.

Just like at your school dance, if you can't find anybody to dance with, you are left on your own.

It's called an internet discussion board. I guess it's even easier to criticize the other posters. 

Hypothetically... would you trade Chris Davis to the Tigers for Miguel Cabrera?  Per rotoworld, here is Cabrera's contract:

2018: $30 million, 2019: $30 million, 2020: $30 million, 2021: $30 million, 2022: $32 million, 2023: $32 million, 2024: $30 million vesting option, 2025: $30 million vesting option.

I probably wouldn't, but would entertain the idea if Detroit through in someone like Candelario (which is unlikely because they are rebuilding).  Just curious as to where people on the board stand on this hypothetical.

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Hypothetically... would you trade Chris Davis to the Tigers for Miguel Cabrera?  Per rotoworld, here is Cabrera's contract:

2018: $30 million, 2019: $30 million, 2020: $30 million, 2021: $30 million, 2022: $32 million, 2023: $32 million, 2024: $30 million vesting option, 2025: $30 million vesting option.

I probably wouldn't, but would entertain the idea if Detroit through in someone like Candelario (which is unlikely because they are rebuilding).  Just curious as to where people on the board stand on this hypothetical.

No.

Too big a risk that he's done. 

At least Davis is healthy.

2 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

No I wouldn't. Isn't his contract worse than CD's?

Chris Davis is the only LH in baseball that doesn't like middle to middle in FB's. Slow bat plus poor pitch recognition. On top of that he's got so many holes in his swing to worry about. 

Davis is an easy out if you avoid throwing the ball up and middle away. He needs to adopt the Harold Baines or JJ Hardy approach and just admit he can't turn on inside FB's and stand way off the plate. Just sucks for us that we have to pay a guy another 5/100 that should have that approach. 

Archived